Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
josh shock

Looking for sucker/red horse, etc. fly suggestions.

i would say anything you would tie for carp. they eat invertabrates and molusks. so nymhps and even a clam pattern would probably work just look up on google. i would assume to fish them just like carp.

Oh, you meant a fly to catch suckers and redhorse. I thought you were looking for a fly to immitate them....they're a significant part of the forage base here, and I tie redhorse flies for muskies.

I have caught a few on the rivers around my home on a small mud puppy pattern I tied and I just crawled it along the bottom. I was fishing smallies at the time but I occasionally get a nice redhorse doing this.

now ive only caught fall fish or suckers on accident lol. but how i caught mine was i was upstate WV and i was using a natrual grasshopper pattern with no foam feathers and all and i saw my fly sink so i stripped my line to put dry fly paste on it and i hooked a nice 2.4 pound sucker he put up a fight he wasnt no bass or panfish i was looking for but it was a great fight