Fly Tying
green hackle

Cork Balls and Cylinders

Hi!

I'm new here. I tie a lot of poppers and bugs for bluegills and bass.

Some years ago, I purchased some cork balls (sized 1/4", 9/32", 5/16") from a company named

"Corkers". It was run by a gentleman named William S. McIntyre from Pittsburgh, PA.

I would like to purchase some more cork balls, as they made deadly poppers.

The problem is, I believe "Corkers" no longer exists.

Does anyone out there know where you can purchase cork balls and cylinders?

Any info would be helpful and greatly appreciated!

Thanks and tight lines

AF

Foam cylinders can be found at Michaels. Brand name is Foamies 3D shapes.

Fred

Rainey's offers a complete line of precut, preshaped forms....check out "The Fly Shop" out of Redington, CA....not sure what the site is, shouldn't be hard to find......they carry the complete line of Rainey foam (not cork but work great) shapes....ACE hardware stores, at least the ones in my area, carry dozens of sizes of corks....sort through to get the ones with the least imperfections....also, imperfection in cork can be filled with wood filler and sanded with an emory board to smooth the surface...one painted and sealed, the wood filler is protected from getting wet and the cork is still bouyant...as posted earlier, craft stores like Hobby Lobby and Michael's are great outlets for materials like this

You may also want to find a Hobby Shop. If I remember correctly the one I sue to frequent in Houston sold some...Not sure if they do now. The other thing is that Try Googleing Tackle Manufactures. There was a company that I used to get cork from that had that kind of stuff. If my Dad answers the phone after the Race will let ya know. He still has all the catalouges "Just in case" even though we quit the Biz years ago.

good luck!

flytire,

Thanks for the link! I emailed them for some info. I see they have the 1/4' diameter cork balls.

That size is perfect. Some of the cylinder and cigars shapes were also what I was looking for.

Thanks so much for your help!

AF