Fly Tying

Hey guys please help my flybox :D

I was fishing in my lokal river yesterday, and i saw this big dark Caddis, and my Caddis flies was to light :wallbash: so i thougt maybe some of you had a good fly there looks like a dark caddis.

Don't be afraid to give me some hard patterns:)

K & B

I learned this trick a few years ago. We were fishing a small high sierra lake and i had a crap load of tan, brown and olive EH caddis. An alderfly hatch had started to take hold and they were falling to the water in the breeze left and right. I didn't have any dark caddis flies nor any flies that were that large and black at all. My buddy kicked over in his tube and handed me the key to catching fish that day,,,,,,, a black sharpie! YUP! a dark permanent marker saved the day! I carry one in my vest all the time now

I use a fairly simple one. CDC and Elk, actually deer hair. Olive or dark grey body and dark brown wings. The black caddis in my neck of the woods range from size 16 to 24 this time of year. FWIW, don't assume that the caddis was all dark. I was fishing one day and all these light caddis were coming off the creek. I threw every light caddis I had in my box at the trout rising to them, and they weren't interested. One finally landed on me, and I caught it and took a look at it. It had light tan wings, but the body was dark grey. Tied up a few for the next time and that's what the fish wanted.

The Dark Bucktail Caddis works well for me for larger dark caddisflies (especially on rough water):

hook: Mustad 7957B #6-14

thread: brown 6/0 Uni

tail: Dark Mottled Deerhair

counter-rib: tying thread

body: amber or golden yellow dubbing

palmered hackle: brown cock (undersized)

wing: Dark Mottled Deerhair

LaFontaine dressed his Dark Bucktails with bright-yellow cock hackle. I know the caddis fly has (little or) no tail! The tail here undoubtedly helps the fly float well and probably looks (to the trout) like the wing tips.

Don't neglect the caddis. I have everything from 3 inch long adults to size 22s in everything from deep dark brown to white. You just never know. Flytyingfreak is right, keep those markers handy. Cheers, Futzer.