Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fred H.

Fiddler Crab

Thanks Ray, Jeff and Floyd. The materials were deerhair, mono, thread, tissue and flexement. The tissue and flexement combined make a very durable homemade version of bug skin. The specimen I captured had a personality that I tried to show in this fly. I had trouble catching him because I was laughing too hard. He was dancing left and right and flicking his big claw at me . Reminded me of that MC Hammer video :hyst:

Fred

Thanks for the comments everyone . I actually tied this mostly for sheephead. Although not as prized for its table fare as redfish . The sheephead is a very selective feeder and is a challenge to entice to fly. Built like a bluegill on steroids and common in the 4lb to 7lb class these fish will test your tackle and skill like no other . Oh , am I going to have fun this summer!!!!!!!

Thanks , Fred

Thanks for the comments everyone . I actually tied this mostly for sheephead. Although not as prized for its table fare as redfish . The sheephead is a very selective feeder and is a challenge to entice to fly. Built like a bluegill on steroids and common in the 4lb to 7lb class these fish will test your tackle and skill like no other . Oh , am I going to have fun this summer!!!!!!!

Thanks , Fred

Are you kidding me? I love blackened Red but Sheephead are fantastic! Bust out the deep fryer and lets get busy!!

Thanks , Fred

I remember fishing piers up and down both coastlines in Florida for sheepshead ,it aint easy! While being frustrated by the "bandits" I noticed an elderly ,and I do mean ELDERLY, African American catching them one after another. I slowly eased up to see her technique but could see nothing she was doing other than catching fish. Finally I stood next to her and asked,"Mam, you're catching them left and right and here I am using the same bait, in the same spots, everything exactly the same, and I'm getting skunked! What gives , how are ya doing it?" She turned and gave me a big toothless grin and said,"Ya gots to set da hook 'fore they bites it!" I fished with her for a few more hours and on many more occasions and finally figured out what she meant. If you feel your bait move, set the hook, cuz the theifs have already got it. I have no idea in hades how you'll be able to do it with a fly....unless ya let me know?!?!?! BTW beautiful fly ..truly realistic, like a real "dancing" fiddler!!!

Thanks , Fred

I remember fishing piers up and down both coastlines in Florida for sheepshead ,it aint easy! While being frustrated by the "bandits" I noticed an elderly ,and I do mean ELDERLY, African American catching them one after another. I slowly eased up to see her technique but could see nothing she was doing other than catching fish. Finally I stood next to her and asked,"Mam, you're catching them left and right and here I am using the same bait, in the same spots, everything exactly the same, and I'm getting skunked! What gives , how are ya doing it?" She turned and gave me a big toothless grin and said,"Ya gots to set da hook 'fore they bites it!" I fished with her for a few more hours and on many more occasions and finally figured out what she meant. If you feel your bait move, set the hook, cuz the theifs have already got it. I have no idea in hades how you'll be able to do it with a fly....unless ya let me know?!?!?! BTW beautiful fly ..truly realistic, like a real "dancing" fiddler!!!

Lycos , because of what they eat , sheephead normaly peck hard with their first bite to crush the shell of whatever crustacean they are feeding on. Thus dislodging meat from shell. Unlike a redfish which has crushers deep insude his mouth. This makes the sheephead much more of a challenge on the fly.

I decided to tie this fly after talking to many saltwater flyfishermen who now target this fish because they have yet to catch one on a fly. No doubt it will take ones full concentration ,a tight line and perhaps some luck. Thanks for the comments and story. Fred

Good Day,

I seem to remember reading about folks who fly fish for sheepies. Looked like fun. And I am sure dinner was good too!

Steelie