Fly Tying
Silver Bullets

How many fly boxes?

Well i have about 8-10 boxes.5-6 containers. Try keep organize but all these darn swaps i get myself in wacko.gif

Try and keep assortment with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tt

Lessee,

5 for streamers

2 for Wooly Buggers

2 for nymphs

1 for dries

2 for poppers/spiders

2 for big bass stuff

Yet somehow I never have exactly the one I need! Mcfly can attest to that! biggrin.gif

Hi Silver Bullets,

Interesting you should ask. After 45+ years of little to no organization of our fly boxes Gretchen and I decided to empty all of our vest/chest packs and get organized. I have 48 fly boxes on a card table in my tying room where we are spending some of our evenings sorting through and getting organized. Organization was SOOO! bad - let me give an example. I mentioned to Gretchen that I coulding find any BH Prince Nymphs. She said she was sure we had some in one of the boxes. After a thorough search, we found several dozen scattered over 10 fly boxes. I have to get the mess straighted up! How did the boxes get so bad? Filling fly orders for other people and not taking time for my own fly boxes. For years we just tied what we needed for the next trip AND we often try out flies we write about in the magazines. They do add up after a while. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Well, at this point we have a clear leader! What gets me in trouble is that I always have a new fly in mind that I want to tie and try, or I see a new one here or in a book and simply must tie it. The problem is, I end up using the tried-and-true most often. Right now I have many different flies which I tied, in some cases, years ago and have yet to use!

For trout, I have 4 boxes.

For pike, I have one large box.

For bass and panfish, I have about 6 boxes.

And for saltwater, I have about 15 boxes, one of which is quite large for the boat and has a little bit of everything, and the others are specialty boxes for night fishing, flats fishing, albie fishing, etc.

But I still don't come close to Al and Gretchen's tally. wink.gif

All told right now I think it comes to 52, I need to organize some and cut it down to less...In the van alone I have 18 for fresh water right now.

I have a three for trout, two for bass and panfish one for steelhead and salmon. I tend to use mostly the same patterns that have proven to work for me over and over and replace them with new ones as needed. Have to admit since I started tying my own that is changing.

I love the Orvis Lightweight Fly Box's

the hard shell boxes are to hard to carry,

remember to always dry your fly’s out before storing for the day.

I am always in a fly swap so I have a ton of everything.

I have started shadow boxes of fly’s from people that I know

Because the fly’s just shouldn’t be used.

But that’s an other story for an other day.

When you go fly fishing less is best, keep it simple.

The less you have to loses theory.

Everyone here has a story about dropping there favorite fly box and not knowing it.

Because we were carrying so much crap.

If you leave it in you truck they will break in and take it.

You can plan your tips with a little practice and target the species’ your after that day.

I don’t organize my boxes as to fly type, I organize them as per trip,

A little of each with one back up.

Should I buy or should I tie

QUOTE (sandflyx @ Aug 8 2004, 07:34 AM)
All told right now I think it comes to 52, I need to organize some and cut it down to less...In the van alone I have 18 for fresh water right now.

blink.gif Wow!

Depending on the type fishing am doing I average 7 on the water and usally 5 in the gear bag. That is the draw back to tying for 35 years. I, like most of you out there, am a pack rat after a fashion. And besides that pattern maybe hot again !?!

Tube blink.gif

I carry to double Wheatley boxes for nymphs (1 for #10 and 12 and one for#14 and 16) and two C&F Boxes for Dries (same sizes). In addition to that I have streamer box and one for everything smaller than #18.

This is what I carry on any unknown piece of water. At my home water I have ONE large box with a combination of all mentioned above!

Dan wink.gif

I have a warm water and trout vest, each with seperate boxes for drys, nymphs, caddis, soft hackle, and emergers. The warm water vest also carries a wooly bugger box, streamer box and one for poppers. Sometimes I think I arrive streamside looking like GI Joe on his way to Tripoli! On the other hand, I've had more trips than not where I've been through just about each box!

graycoughlin