Fly Tying
Silver Bullets

How many fly boxes?

Silver Bullets, I own about 6 full boxes an a few large boxes full of experimental flies.. Thats my personal stash . I used to sell to a few shops an people who buy in bulk so i gave most my flies away.. wonder how many i woulda had... blink.gif

If your talkin about just boxes of flies i have,not ones i "carry" with me in my vest then i have about 5-6 full boxes all the time.

1-drys

1-nymphs

1-streamers

1-steelhead

1-salmon

i try to keep them pretty well stocked all the time and about this time of year i start going into salmon fly box stocking mode where i tie up enough big stones/caddis/egg sucking leeches and other salmon flys to probaly stock up 5 boxes with just them alone wink.gif

SD

I keep them just about the same system as steeldrifter.. but i keep one box on me.. i pick an choose what i know will work, and flys i know i will try for each spot im gonna hit.. scooter.gif

I probably have too many -- something like 8-10. On the stream, I carry a large foam box with an assortment of dries, nymphs and streamers; a large compartment box of dries; a small compartment box of small dries/nymphs; and a small compartment box of terrestials.

In the car or at home, I've got a couple of large compartment box of nymphs; a large box of streamers; a large box of mixed bass flies; a large box of bass nymphs/streamers; and a large box of bass poppers/sliders.

I frankly should clean out a bit as I can't keep track of what I have. I've gotten to the point where I tie some flies and then discover that I already have a bunch that I'd forgotten about. Or I assume I have a stock of some standard pattern and when I go to restock my on stream supply, I find out that I'm out.

I enjoy tying flies and trying new patterns and materials. But for fishing, a dozen or so patterns in a few sizes each will catch plenty of fish on almost any day.

it depends, i grew up fishing worms so i always carry a tackle box full of spinners and splitshot and hooks and such. i also carry a box for:

1 dry flies

1 nymphs

1 steelhead/streamers

1 bass

2 misc

I tend to carry 4 or 5 with me while I'm fishing fresh water. Usually a box for dries, nymphs and midges, plus a box for panfish and smallmouth poppers etc, and a box for minnow patterns.

Salt water, I carry two or three large boxes depending wether I'm fishing from the shore or a boat. One for top water, one for baitfish patterns, one for bigger flies in 6-9 inch lengths.

I've got a bunch of storage boxes at home. Like somebody said, I enjoy tying and try and get in an hour or so of tying each night as a way to relax.

I fish mostly warmwater (I'm going to try steelhead with a friend this fall) but for bass I carry a large box of deerhairs, a box for poppers/sliders, one for misc., and one for zonkers and streamers. For panfish on my lake any fly will do so I just use a little plano box of them. Note: for storage of these boxes I bought a canvas tacklebag from FLW (large spin fishing tour Why do I know that???) all this boxes fit in their each box has around 20 compartments, a few still need to be filled.

hmmm...

Maybe I shoud try to lighten my load a bit, I just counted, and I have 11 boxes in my Orvis Safe Passage Original Chest Pack. Now, not all of them are large, 5 are only 3" x 2" x 1" thick. The others are your standard trout fly boxes. This doesn't count the 4 Steelhead boxes that I swap out in the fall and winter.

Come to think of it... I did buy the Orvis pack to lighten my load. I'm one of those guys who think they have to carry EVERYTHING. You know, just in case.

Caddisfly

I just gathered up some of my fly boxes to sort and clean them out. I'm disgusted at how many I have. I have some for steelhead and salmon, for dries, for nymphs, for streamers, for bass and bluegill ponds and for salt water. I also have two boxes for barbless hooks only to use in area's that require them. I have been using the Morrell/Orvis soft boxes for a while and am pleased with them. I would really like to get the 3M system for maintaining and storing my flies but the cheap, plastic leaf holder alone is $45.00! Great idea but I have a family to feed!

I can't ever see me turning into a Jim Teeny who uses one fly (the Teeny Nymph) in different sizes and colors for everything, including salt water.