Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tmatt26

turkey feather prep

i have seen many hopper flies with this type of wing case and was wondering what should i use to treat the turkey feather before using it. how do you all do it?

I give then a very thin brush of laquer....makes them more durable. Plus on flies like te Letort or Dave's spinning deer hair right infront of your quill wing can be hard on it if it isn't treated. Hope this helps,

Jan

I use thinned flexament on my turkey when tying hoppers. Its also good for shaping pheasant feathers for hopper wings.

Dave's flexament is what is used in my area...... I think there are other ways.....but I havn't gotten into tying turkey......Can't help much in this issue.......... <_<

Ya, I use flexament too. It is really nice for adding some durability to the fly and it adds a little touch of realism I think.

Using flex cement can be time consumming and messy when doing an entire feather so pick up some tuffilm fixative for matte finishing. You can get some Krylon clear coat or Kyrlon matte finish. Most any clear coat will work. I normally spray the dull side of feather or if you want shine you can spray top side

Using flex cement can be time consumming and messy when doing an entire feather so pick up some tuffilm fixative for matte finishing. You can get some Krylon clear coat or Kyrlon matte finish. Most any clear coat will work. I normally spray the dull side of feather or if you want shine you can spray top side

Bruce nailed it. One other suggestio is Griff's thin coat . It's a penetrating head cement that binds the feather and depending on the number of coats remains undetectable. It will appear as the feather had no treatment at all.

Fred