Fly Tying
BigDaddyHub

Furled leaders to flip big flies??

When using really big flies, i use short lengths of heavy straight mono as a leader to flip the big hair bugs and streamers. (I'm fishing almost exclusively surface patterns or shallow running patterns so getting the fly down isn;t usually an issue) For years I have heard of a lot of anglers using furled leaders to flip the big hairies. Is there anyone who uses fruled leaders? What are the pros and cons?

I bought a few of them for different weight rods, and they work very well, particularly with big flies. So far the only con I can find with them is that I haven't yet learned to make them, so I have to buy them, and you can't shorten them.

I was tying my own leaders, and have several spools of line, and a bit of money invested. For the price, furled leaders are a better choice, they just work better than single strand leaders.

Of course, I'll still tie & use the single strand leaders since I have the line if I see the need especially on my panfish rods! :rolleyes:

Can you describe the "action" (as it were)? What makes it better? Being essentially braided, is the transfer of kinetic energy down the leader different? Does anyof that make sense? Not sure what I'm trying to ask...bear with me

I guess what I'm trying to convey is I don't know enough about furled leaders to know what to ask about furled leaders...does that make sense ?

I've been making and using my own furled leaders fro a few years now. They do a nice job of turning over big deer hair bugs, they don't have any memory, and they hold up for a long time. I found the information on making them on the Internet. Another option is to purchase the DVD done by a lady called Kathy Scott.

If you want to test drive one of these leaders send me a PM with your address and I'll send you one of mine.

After way too long tying my own tapers, I bought a couple Furled leaders out of tippet material, not thread. I like them for no coil memory, and good transfer on big bugs. I do not like them on my 3 weight for twist from certain flies. I did find a lot of material on making your own with a google search. I have not made a jig yet to do so.

Hope that helps. Cheers, Futzer.

Thanks, Fultzer. Probably won't be tying any myself, but may begin purchasing them from those who do if I like the action...I keep hearing from a few fellas who say the furled leaders make for a smoother cast with big, wind -resistant flies but I don't think I would like one much for smaller flies

I bought a DVD from Kathy Scott called Simple Furled Leaders as well and I would highly recomend it. It to me a half hour to set up the board and now I can make any strength furled leader I want in only a few minutes just by changing the thread you make them with. The furled leaders really turn flies over a lot better than my old single strand hand tied leaders did.

What does everyone else use for thread to make furled leaders for big flies. I tried using some 30lb spiderwire I had sitting around and it seems to work pretty good but I was curious if there was something better to use.

I bought the Kathy Scott DVD as well, real good info & simple to follow, but I just haven't had the time to get into making them.

BDH, they're not braided, but you do get a similar result. As far as the way they work, I think of it like a bull whip, they have a butt section & taper down to a small end that you add your tippet to. They can be made in any length you want, but most are made rather short, at least the ones I've seen. They do transfer energy very well, and have almost no memory, unlike single strand leaders. They can also be made from different types of thread, or mono. I have a few made from uni-thread and some from mono, but haven't used the thread ones yet. The mono versions turn over extremely well.

I would say if you're only fishing for panfish, the single strand leaders are fine, but for large flies, furled leaders are well worth using.

I don't know if that's any help. Best bet is get one & try it, I'm sure you'll notice a difference right away. ;)

Thanks for the insight, TWF! Gonna have to give it an objective look. Anything that helps me flip bigger "nasties" is a big plus in my book!

One more vote for furled leaders. If you can, get into making them unless you know someone who already does. The cheapest commercial ones I've seen are $12. I had it figured out that materials cost me around 30-60 cents per leader making my own plus about 10 minutes of time. That is unless you have a ton of cash to throw around. In that case, I'll be your supplier. I use them for everything - 3 weight up to the big bass flies. Since I already furl them, it's cheaper and I can get exactly what I want. Not to mention NONE of that da** memory coil of the manufactured leaders.

Deeky

I have been making my own for about two years now. I like them for most circumstances. The work well for large bugs like what was said above. I use them when the wind is high, becuase I can make them stiffer and help with cutting the through the wind. I mad a jig that is fully adjustable so I can make them any legnth up to about 12'. http://furledleaders.proboards.com/index.cgi? has a TON of information on it. Plus they are good about answering information. The guy that runs the forum sells leaders and I have bought a few from him and can attest to the quality of them. He uses mostly thread. The only real drawback from using furled leaders is that you get spray from the line on pick up. Some of this can be compensated for my using thread instead of mono or flouro. But you still get some spray no matter what you use. This fact makes it a little difficult when casting dries to weary trout. But if you are fishing hair bugs and castiing to panfish, this probabley won't be an issue. Some of the bennifits of using thread is that you can make any combinations of colors that you want. One of my favorite leaders is a brown one that perfectly matches the color of the Ausauble river. I treat one with watershed and grease the line for floating and others I just leave untreated for nymphing and streamers. The leader praticly disapears in the water. I am still experimenting with lenghts and tapers.

I ramble, but I hope it helps

Randy

FF & Randy,

Thanks for the info...was all but ignorant to furled leaders when this thread started...thanks for taking the time to bring me out of the darkness...I appreciate your time and comments..I have already printed this thread for future reference. I may be PM'ing some of you for more insight. Thanks fellas! If anyone else would like to comment, please do so, all information is greatly appreciated! :headbang: