Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
yuppie hater

G LOOMIS

Has anyone else heard that Gloomis is closing they're doors. A fella was responding to one of my questions and mentioned that they were going under. It almost seems possible after what I had to go through to get a replacement rod (temperary though). When I broke my 4wt. I found out it had been discontinued so I had to go with it's equivilent. now coming into dry fly season you would think they would be crankin out 4wt.'s like mad men. Needless to say I was told I was going t have to wait up to a couple of months for my rod. As you can guess I was pretty pissed and they werent offering to do much(other than offer me a lower end rod). Finally after a lot of phone tag I go in contact with one of the higher ups and he sent me a temperary rod of greater value for an up coming trip. However he wants me to send it back after my trip, then wait some more for my replacment rod.

Now i'm hearing rumors that they'er closing shop so I'm a little nervous to send this rod back, when I get back.

So has anyone else heard this rumor. :blink:

used to peddle thier wares in a Lexington shop...outstanding line of rods...had heard they were not doing so well with their more elite lines...may be another victim of the global economy. HOWEVER, if the company requested you send the rod back, please do so or you may be subject to criminal theft charges...possibly federal charges for crimes committed during the course of interstate commerce...in some states, the theft of any property valued at or more than $100.00 is a felony...err on the side of caution, even if the company is going belly up.... :)

obviously, the honorable-moral-RIGHT thing to do is to send back the loaner rod as requested. Flip-side, the honorable-moral-RIGHT thing for them to do is send you a replacement rod yesterday, if it's under warranty!! It is fairly common practice in any industry, that if a warranty replacement is valid and the item is no longer manufactured, they replace it with an upgrade.

If what you're saying is accurate, that is poor customer service. Hell, I've had discrepancies with one and two dollar items from J. Stockard, and they bent over backwards to make it right when I mentioned it to them! I can't imagine how frustrated you must be. If they are going under, then good riddance, with customer service like that. Plenty of other fly rod makers out there who actually want your repeat business.

This weekend I asked a guy working in a tackle shop about that rumor and he told me that GLoomis is not going under but they are backed up with backorders which is why they may be taking a while with the replacement rod. I didn't know this guy personally so I don't know how reliable this information is. Regardless of their situation they should be doing a better job of keeping you informed.

To set the facts right...

By fall of 2009 Loomis will totally discontinue offering ANY blanks to anyone (I.E-custom rod builders) but so far, they say they WILL still offer all "off the rack rods" and honor all warranties as of now.

Loomis has been having "money issues" so far as "off the rack rods" go in the future, thats still to be seen.

Steve

To set the facts right...

By fall of 2009 Loomis will totally discontinue offering ANY blanks to anyone (I.E-custom rod builders) but so far, they say they WILL still offer all "off the rack rods" and honor all warranties as of now.

Loomis has been having "money issues" so far as "off the rack rods" go in the future, thats still to be seen.

Steve

Steve,

I know most blanks by the major maunfacturers only honor implied warranties on blanks used to make custom rods not assembled to thier "specific standards." If Gloomis and others are having to honor warranties on custom blanks, and it's becoming a financial pitfall for the company, could that be a reason for discontinuing "open sales" of blanks by certain manufacturers? :dunno:

Hi Chris. The custom market actually only makes up about 4%-5% of sales for most manufactures so any warranties on custom rod repair/replacement doesn't really have an effect on them. They are stopping blank sales mainly just because it is such a small area of sales for Loomis that it's not worth them stocking blanks and doing sales on them.

The general consensus amongst most builders when it comes to Loomis is that they simply have not moved forward with their technology on blank design in a long time now. Loomis are still good rods/blanks, but with so many new advancements from other companies now on the scene it makes it hard to stay competitive unless your constantly re-engineering and coming up with new blank designs and innovations. It seemed like Loomis somewhat stopped advancing when Gary Loomis sold the company and now that they are owned by Shimano they really haven't moved forward in a long time.

I think they will still be around for awhile, but if they don't start pushing forward again with new blanks and technology then somewhere down the road they may end up going the way of companies like Fenwick which just stopped advancing and ended up fading from the scene.

Steve,

you're insight is amazing.....great information. BTW, call me cheap, but I'm a Pflueger kinda guy. I can't afford to lose a GLX or Metolious out of the back of a Jeep when I'm muddin' thru the backwoods to your favorite Smallie hole? :lol:

You need to try to get back up this way around July Chris and I'll take ya to some of my fav smallie water on the Au Sable for some big 4-5lb brutes :headbang:

In a perfect world, my brother. Expecting a little one this July...gonna be pretty busy this summer. Might be able to swing a trip to Erie this fall and fish the "Steve hole" below Manchester! Steelhead, Baby!!! :hubbard: :sd: :devil2:

Bro, don't say such things unless you mean it....We can sure try to put something together...."Hey, Ma, We're getting the band back together!!" :headbang:

post-20880-1241268205.jpg

Well, what I heard via distributor, is they are in process of a multimillion dollar manufacturing revamp which has production shut down for several months. I really like my GLoomis rods.

Cheers, Futzer.