Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jani

Advice on glass bead eyes needed and appreciated

Normally I only tie 16 or smaller for local trout, but I am preparing for a month on the coast in NSW, Australia (just south of Bateman's Bay) where I expect to have my first salt water experience. I am in process of tying up some larger shrimp and crab patterns, and need some help.

I am trying to make those glass bead eyes connected with monofilament melted on the ends to keep the beads secure. However, I can't seem to get those nice melted balls at the end. They seem to either not form a ball at all or light on fire and turn into a big mess.

I am using a black nylon leader normally used (according to the advertisement) for deep water baitfishing or spear-fishing. Am I using the wrong sort of monofilament or am I just inept at using a bic lighter?

Any suggestions on the best way to do this or the best monofilament to use? Any help is much appreciated.

Jani

Maybe try using a soldering iron or some other sort of flameless heat instead of a bic lighter. I've never tied anything like this before, but by the sounds of things, the flame is the problem

Any mono should do. Use 10lb for shrimp up to 40lb for crabs.

Thread the beads on the mono. The bigger the bead opening the larger flare will be required on the end of the mono.

Don't stick the mono in the flame. Use a candle. Have a small block of wood to touch the mono to for purposes of stopping the melting process and flaring the end to hold the bead.

Thanks everyone for the help! I switched to a smaller 15 lb. leader and am using a wood block for the flaring; seems to have solved the issue. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Thanks, again. Much appreciated.

Jani

Hareline Dubbin marketed pearl bead chain eyes that were beads on a string. Just cut off a pair & tie them on like lamp pull cord chains. Could probably make your own with a strand of parachute cord about the size of the inside diameter of the bead hole. Thread the beads on & glue them about 1/8" apart, then cut off in pairs for eyes on flys.

Just saw an article in a magazine that used those plastic tabs that they use to hold tags on clothing in the store. On the smaller T end, thread a bead on each side, melt the tab to lock the eyes on, and then lash the main stem of the tab along the shank of the hook. Hope that makes sense, but looked like a slick way to attach bead eyes.

Deeky

To get the nice melted balls on the end, make sure you hold the mono vertical with the flame above it. The mono will melt down forming a nice even ball. I don't normally use beads on my shrimp and crab patterns since I started using powder paint which gives a nice shiny eye in whatever color you want (generally black). When the ball is the right size (usually slightly smaller than you want, you dip the hot mono in the powder paint. The paint sets on the mono. Then quickly and lightly wave the paint in the flame to set it (this is the hardest part and takes a little practice). For more detail watch the last half of this video -

. It's durable and is quick and easy. Here's an example of the mono/powder paint eyes on a shrimp pattern.

ultra%20shrimp.jpg

TxEngr