Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jani

What is the advantage to keeping feathers on the skin?

Just curious if there are any opinions for or against keeping feathers on a skin. I understand the benefit with hackle in helping to quickly find the right size needed, and keeping the feathers in good condition, but is there an advantage with other types of feathers, such as sparrow or English Jay or even patridge? I know some people who seperate them by type and bag them up, and others that keep a full skin.

Is there advantages to one way or the other? And, if so, why?

If you are doing feather wing streamers, matukas, etc., it is important to have matching feathers from each side of the skin so that they curve the right way. Pretty tough to do when they are loose in a bag, even if they are sized.

Deeky

Just curious if there are any opinions for or against keeping feathers on a skin. I understand the benefit with hackle in helping to quickly find the right size needed, and keeping the feathers in good condition, but is there an advantage with other types of feathers, such as sparrow or English Jay or even patridge? I know some people who seperate them by type and bag them up, and others that keep a full skin.

Is there advantages to one way or the other? And, if so, why?

The quick sizing is still an advantage. I probably hackle more flies with partridge than any other feather (I tie way more soft hackles than anything else) and with the feathers on the skin, I can find the right size and color/markings quickly.

Additionally, by keeping them on the skin, I only need to keep (and have to look for) one sealed bag per skin. I really wouldn't want to take the time to pluck, say a starling skin, and then have separate containers for upper wing coverts, under wing coverts, flank feathers, back feathers, neck feathers, tail feathers, primary flight feathers, secondary flight feather, etc. Double that if I want a male and female skin. Then multiply that by the twenty or so different species of birds whose feathers I use, and I'd never find what I'm looking for.

since im not a production tyer, and speed isnt critical, i keep mine on the skin.

I also dont have to worry about that errent gust of wind coming thru the window.

when im tying more than a 1/2 doz flies i will pick all the feathers off the skin at one time

If you are doing feather wing streamers, matukas, etc., it is important to have matching feathers from each side of the skin so that they curve the right way. Pretty tough to do when they are loose in a bag, even if they are sized.

Deeky

BIG advantage to keeping it on the skin. Deeky said it perfectly.

Thanks eveyone for the input. It is as I expected, and yes, I would much prefer to keep the feathers on the skin. So, the follow-up question would be:

For imported feathers, how do you get rid of the formaldehyde-ish smell?

I've never had this issue with local skins or ones that I have boraxed myself, so I assume it is mandatory cross-ocean fumigation? Not sure, but even in plastic bag in plastic box it permeates the room.

Jani

I'm going to take another angle on the answer to this. If someone was thinking skin vs. bagged feathers there is another advantage .. or two .. to feathers on the skin. Quality of feathers is one biggie. Bagged feathers that are sold are about 99.99% useless. Sizing is tough and feathers are brittle and break easily. Feathers still on the skin retain some of their oils and they may absorb oils from the cleaning which keeps the hackle stem soft and supple. The skin may cost more than the pre-packaged feather but for useable feathers to flies tied to me there is NO comparison.

Mike

I have some necks and patches over 20 years old, they stay in far better shape left on the skin. I store a chuck of aromatic cedar in with the smellier stuff, it seems to help and keeps moths away.

Cheers, Futzer.