Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
silverbullet32

Bass Popper supplies

Hey guys!

I am just wondering where i can get stuff for tying bass poppers and just regular flies, for cheap. Does anyone on here get stuff from craft stores?

thanks guys,

Loren

Hundreds of people pickup stuff from craft stores. Foam sheets, glass beads, feathers, lots of stuff. There's always something new to find, and you never know where it will come from.

i will have to go to the local michael's soon, i will go there before i go to sportsmans warehouse, then i can compare prices. but thanks utyer.

Loren

I occasionally pick stuff up from crafts stores, as well as Wal-Mart's craft department. Also, you never know what you might find at second-hand re-sell stores. Nevertheless, 90% of my materials, I get mail-order. Check out J. Stockard. Besides all the great supplies, the people are friendly and helpful and they are supporters of this forum. I have a small zip-lock bag full of Mallard flank feathers that I've picked up along the banks of my ponds. Now that you are a tyer, you'll be surprised at where all you find useful material.

Mike

Whatever you do, do NOT buy marabou from the craft store! You will save money buying it from a fly shop.

You would have a lot of useless feathers if you bought it from a craft store.

Besides craft foam, I buy the cheap $.99 flip-flops (aka shower shoes) at the craft stores and use leather punches and punch out cylinders of various diameters and glue them on to hooks and make cheap easy poppers.....from bluegill size to bass size.....you can make dozens of bodies from one pair of shoes.

Mike

those bright nylon wigs in the dollar stores can make for interesting material. I used to buy from a store in downtown vancouver called the douglas trading post. you could buy good quality marabou for 2$ a bag plus a whole lot of other things.

marc

www. softtiles.com sells interlocking closed foam in 1'x1' or 2'x2' sheets pretty cheap in lots of colors. Perfect stuff for popping bugs.

Best punches are hollow punch sets (9 punches for $5) at www.harborfreight.com.

silverbullet, being your near seattle, if you make the trip to vancouver, it's on granville st right in the middle of the entertainment district. I got some caribou or it may be reindeer hair from when they make plush dogs, they bought the cuts from the manufacturer and sell it It's tanned hide too and the stuff spins like a dream, their marabou is strung, so it's no different than the fly shops. Also, if you buy white, you could probably dye some with koolaid. Know if I could figure out what malcolm ruddick uses to dye his polar bear...Another material that comes to mind is the plastic wrap that cpu parts come in.

http://www.douglastradingpostonline.com/default.htm

They would probably send it south. just have to be careful what materials you bring in to the states as I know polar bear is a no no - don't know about the bou hair though.

marc