Fly Tying
mozes

Swap Box

First of all this is not my idea. I have seen this done on other boards, but never been in one. Can we get a swap box going here? The idea is that swap meister starts out a BIG size box filled with material that they are willing to swap. Bunch of people sign up and get in some geographical order for shipping. Box gets sent to all participants that are in the swap. When you get the box you take out what you want and put back some of your stuff in it. This is take and give principal. So everyone should put back about the same amount/qty/value of the items that they take. At the end of the swap the box comes back to original person who started the box and he/she gets to keep everything that is in it. The is no cost in participating in the box swap, just cover shipping to the next person on the list. This should be around $10.00 Everyone gets 5 days to go through all of the items in the box. We can agree on further details if there is any interest here.

I would love to host this one, but....I haven't been tying for that long and don't have enough material to START the box, but I have plenty that I can swap. I would love to be one of the participants.

Any takers for swap meister and participants?

One more thing:

Only US or Only Canada (If we get enough interest from our Canadian friends).

Regards to all,

Mozes

The idea behind a swap box is excellent, I'm in two different ones on FAOL. But as with Mozes I don't have the amount of materials needed to start one. If anyone does step up to start this I would love to participate.

Fatman

What type of variety would you need to start one of these and how many each.. ? if someone could point me in the right direction i may be able to start it up .. given a lil time of course.. Jake

Vices,

This is the basic jist of a swap box and basic rules that we follow on another board where we have 2 going on right now.

A large box (size of zerox paper box)filled with tying materials----feathers (strung, loose, capes/saddles), furs, craft materials, foams, hooks, threads etc... (the last one I did we even had a few magazines, tools, thread rack etc.) but you get the idea.

The swap meister puts out a call for the swap box and how many people he'll allow in the swap, people sign up and email the person with their snail mail address. The meister then puts them in geographical mailing order to minimize postage to all participants. (note: just because their is a limit on the number of people doesn't mean it has to stop after, usually their are 2nd and 3rd rounds with different folks)

The box has a complete listing of all participants addresses inside and not posted on the board only user names to show the order. The box goes to the first person on the list, he or she take out what they want and put in different things equal to what they took out, (it's a swap, not a take box) and mail it to the next person on the list. Some give a week turnaround but usually 3 days is the best, but is up to the meister. With ten people or more it is important to turn the box around in the alotted time or it would take forever to get to the end.

When the last person finishes it goes back to the swap meister.

That's the basics on the ones I've been involved in and really it's alot of fun.

Fatman

Thanks for clearing that up fatman.. if you guys can give me a couple days i will let you know if i can start er up..

If some one starts one up I'll join in. I've been hunting and tanning for years and have a huge stock of all sorts of fur reminants that I will never use myself. I have also accumulated many materials I saw at the store and thought they would work great and never got around to using.

Let me see what i have,i do have some extras maybe i could come up with enough to start this.Give me a day.

tt

Alright i have materials and other things we can start with.Alot of new stuff not used.A noce assortmant of stuff.Lets figure how many people we will go with and get it going.

Lets start with a cut off point of the number ?

1.trout traveler=meister If ya all want?

tt