Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
navigator37

Furry Foam Caddis

nice use of furry foam, great stuff to work with. looks like a very effective fly.

Mike

Navigator: How wide were your furry foam strips when you wrapped them up the hook? This pattern could easily turn into a hopper pattern.

Thanks you guys.

The furry foam cut for the pattern is roughly less than a quarter of an inch wide.

Furry foam sheets, as far as I know come in one thickness, so the slice I cut for the caddis appears

as a long square strip.

In all truth, you don't have to get real specific with how wide you cut it because it stretches so well.

Stretching it slightly, as you wrap it around the hook, narrows it's width if you like.

Rodd Gunn...

You mentioned a hopper imitation with this material.

Here's one standard I tie incorporating furry foam for the top and yellow craft foam for the

bottom. I still don't tie rear legs on my hoppers but the pattern seems to work fine.

post-18146-1247455697_thumb.jpg

Navigator: Thank you very much. I think I will give them a try. The hopper season is upon us. I'll let you know how they work.

I didn't put the hopper in the data base. I guess I could have.

The hoppers I have seen where I fish often have that bright yellow under body

so I couldn't just wrap the body with furry foam alone.

I often try to come up with more simple but effective flies with less material

but the hopper patterns seem to produce well with a more accurate under body color.

On the furry Foam Hopper, the yellow under body is tied on first at the rear of the hook.

I tie a tapered end of the yellow craft foam slice sideways with about two wraps.

Then I move/pull the yellow foam under the body of the hook and secure it with more wraps.

Ahead of the craft foam base I tie in a length of H&H Glimmer Thread for the rib.

It's as strong as wire and lightweight which is good to wrap the furry foam and craft foam together.

Then the furry foam strip is tied on at the rear.

It's awkward, but then you wrap the furry foam and craft foam strips forward with the ribbing.

The thread is used to tie it off near the front.

That's how the abdomen is made.

I would recommend kevlar for the hopper pattern or another very strong thread.

Ummmm..

What's furry foam?

Brian