Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
silverbullet32

Question on the right fly

hey guys,

i fish a small lake that gets planted with rainbow trout each year. i always catch them off of green powerbait because i dont fly fish. now, i am learning to fly fish and im wondering what would be a good fly for this lake. there are alot of mosquitoes there and the water is very cold. i once watched a peron fly fish out there and slayed the fish, right in front of my eyes. so any help would be great. thanks

Loren

Stocked fish can be caught on just about anything. Try soft hackles, nymphs, and perhaps chironomids and you should be in business.

For soft hackles, check out some the ones Ray (letumgo) has posted. He has posted some wicked patterns.

For Nymphs, try hare's ear nymphs, prince nymphs, damsels, zug bugs, etc. etc.

Get out there and catch some whoppers ;)

Jan

There is never any one right fly, but here are some ideas that should cover your bases.

Try matching the hatch.

A little Power bait green fuzz on a hook could work.

Or you could try any of the hundreds of chironomid patterns in the data base. Chironomids are easy to tie, use a curved shank hook and wrap a VERY thin body of fine dubbing, rib with wire. Two or three turns of peacock herl at the head, and your ready to go. Tie these on size 10 all the way to size 22 hooks. Body colors include black, blue, olive, red, and gray. On smaller hooks the tieing thread is enough of a body. Rib these with the finest copper wire you can find. Or try a black thread body ribbed with silver wire.

Wooly buggers in black olive, white, brown are also good lake flies. Leaches are another save bet. Leaches can be tied very easily by just wrapping a little brushed mohair around a long shanked hook. I make leaches from mohair in olive, tans, greys, browns, and black. Make sure to brush the mohair back as you wrap so you get a very very shaggy looking fly.

Rabbit strip leaches are also good, as are all kinds of minnow imitations.

Damsel flies inhabit most of the lakes in the west. Look for some patterns for these, usually a few strands of marabou for a tail, a very thin abdomen and a few turns of hen hackle are all you need. Tide on a 3 or 4 xl hook in sizes 6, 8, 10 in brown, and olive should do it.

ok, i have a fly that looks like a immitation of a mosquito, im not sure what it is called, i think i would give that a try too, here is a pic-

post-22289-1248125835_thumb.jpg

Ya if you see surface feeding I would try that mosquito pattern. I was fishing a small river for brook trout and I started out using an attractor pattern on which I caught one fish. Well, the place was swarming with skeeters so I put on a small gray parachute pattern. After that I caught about a dozen fish in an hour or so. But if you don't see surface action I would go with some sort of nymph as was mentioned. Most likely dragonfly or damselfly, and I'd definitely try some bigger streamers cause that may pull out some of the bigger fish. Just keep trying stuff till something works.

hey guys,

i fish a small lake that gets planted with rainbow trout each year. i always catch them off of green powerbait because i dont fly fish. now, i am learning to fly fish and im wondering what would be a good fly for this lake. there are alot of mosquitoes there and the water is very cold. i once watched a peron fly fish out there and slayed the fish, right in front of my eyes. so any help would be great. thanks

Loren

When your new to fly fishing if you see some one slaying them, be sure to ask them what they are using. Be polite and give them their space if you can ask them when they have finished or are changing location that would be idea. You might be surprised how much info including flies they might give up. Find the nearest fly shop they should have suggestions.

good luck

ps if they are rainbow it's hard to beat a # 16 glow ball still fished under a indicator although it's a bit like bait fishing. Micro jigs anyone?

I fish one of my local put and take fisheries. I started fishing it more to get my casting down but after I started catching fish it became more fun to see how many gear guys I could piss off by catching 30-60 fish a day while releasing every single one of them. What worked for me ( and this may or may not work for you ) was to use a size 14 copper john with a size 16 flash back hare's ear dropper under an indicator. I would move until I found the fish and then it would be a fish on every cast.