Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smalltownfisherman

Thanks Jeff! :D

I got those hackles! :yahoo: :yahoo:

I can clearly see the difference between Metz & Whiting now.

Whiting hackles have a lot less stem stiffness and much more barbule density. And do not twist around the hook!

Much higher quality and more bang for your buck! :D

Thanks Jeff! :D

gage

Sorry Loren and Mike, no pics. :(

Lost the camera and I haven't found it yet! But as soon as I find it I will get some pics.

gage

Hi Gage, I knew you would appreciate the quality, and I still advise you to spend as much money on trips as you can, between High school and college, I spent 4 weeks fishing around West Yellowstone. I was young, 18, and it was a opportunity to be on my own and grow some. I wish I had spent all summer there, mostly sleeping in a tent or my volkswagon. I did not fully appreciate that time until I turned 40 + and started watching summers wiz by with only a day or two on the water.

Anyway, old fart rant. Cheers, Jeff.

Hi Gage, I knew you would appreciate the quality, and I still advise you to spend as much money on trips as you can, between High school and college, I spent 4 weeks fishing around West Yellowstone. I was young, 18, and it was a opportunity to be on my own and grow some. I wish I had spent all summer there, mostly sleeping in a tent or my volkswagon. I did not fully appreciate that time until I turned 40 + and started watching summers wiz by with only a day or two on the water.

Anyway, old fart rant. Cheers, Jeff.

It's not an old fart rant, It's sheer advise! :)

I will try to get the best quality I can but it won't sacrifice fishin' trips for quality hackles.

Thanks for converting me Jeff! :D

gage

Nice Gage!

I recently picked up some Whiting hackle but some how I don't think I got the right stuff. Anyone know? Instead of the package having a red "Whitings Hackle" on it - it has a blue one... is it just a difference in quality?

Nice Gage!

I recently picked up some Whiting hackle but some how I don't think I got the right stuff. Anyone know? Instead of the package having a red "Whitings Hackle" on it - it has a blue one... is it just a difference in quality?

Whiting has different "Brands". So, I believe blue is American which is for warmwater/saltwater stuff typically (larger flies).

Glad I'm not the only one whose had Metz twist like crazy when wrapping.... I thought I just had bad luck with the 3 necks I bought or I was doing something stupid to make it twist.....

Nice Gage!

Yep, TitanFlies, JRG is right, both Whiting's American line of Rooster and Hen Necks & Saddles come on blue cards. They are popular for winging streamers, body hackles on salmon flies and tailing bass bugs, etc. but generally are too large and webby for dry fly hackles. Their Herbert Miner line comes in green packaging, I believe, and come from a different bloodline than the Whiting roosters. I'd suggest going with Whiting's Bronze Grade for dry fly hackling. You can get 1/2 capes & saddles for under $35. Beautiful stuff!

Mike

Glad I'm not the only one whose had Metz twist like crazy when wrapping.... I thought I just had bad luck with the 3 necks I bought or I was doing something stupid to make it twist.....

Yes Metz does tend to twist a lot. But for the cheap price it's okay hackle for fishing flies.

gage

Nice Gage!

Thanks TF!

That weird sucker from your contest still baffles me to this day! Never would have guessed it in a million years!

gage