Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kyflytyer

Fly Tying Library

What are the top 5 (or even 10) books in your fly tying library that you would recommend to others? I have listed my top 5, in no particular order, but I'm sure there are other books out there that are better suited to being on this list. Unfortunately I don't have them yet.

1) Tying Dry Flies by Randall Kaufman. A great book on dry flies that helped me a lot when I was starting out.

2) The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference to Techniques and Dressing Styles by Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer. What can I say? The Bible of fly tying.

3) The Art of Fly Tying by John Van Vliet. This is an edition in The Hunting & Fishing Library and is overlooked in a lot of fly tying libraries. It was one of the first fly tying books that I had and I still refer to it often.

4) Tying Catskill-Style Flies by Mike Valla. This is a newly released book that is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I have an interest in Catskill flies and this book delves into the history, as well as techniques, of the flies.

5) Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Pattern Encyclopedia edited by Al & Gtetchen Beatty. An ecellent resource that should be in everyone's library.

I have limited my choices to books which are still available. Feel free to include out-of-print classics if you wish.

If we're talking primarily trout I'll go with(in no particular order):

1. Fly Tiers Benchside Reference mentioned above

2. Orivs Fly Tying Guide-Tom Rosenbauer;huge recipe book and techniques.

3.Production Fly Tying 2nd Ed. AK Best....full of useful techniques.

4.Guide to Fly Tying- Dick Talleur; great teacher.

5.Essential Trout Flies-DaveHughes...best bang for the buck book in fly tying.

6.Complete Guide to Fly Tying-Eric Leiser...my sentimental favorite.

I use the Benchside reference and Essential Trout Flies the most....

The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference to Techniques and Dressing Styles (Leeson & Shollmeyer)

Charlie Cravens Basic Fly Tying Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Trout (Charlie Craven)

Flies for Fish & Fisherman (Helen Shaw)

Learn the basic techniques and the patterns will fall into place

Flytiers masterclass by oliver edwards. the art of flytying can't remember author and anything by skip morriss his stuff is good for beginners,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,B,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1. Bob Sheedy Top 50 stillwater patterns (Bob Sheedy)

2. Effective Lake flies (Mike Andreasen)

3.Productive stillwater flies (Mike Andreasen)

Most of my favorites have already been listed but one I didn't see was Wet Flies by Dave Hughes. But them I like tying and fishing them, a lot.

Oh I see the Essential trout flies was listed but I have the full Trout Flies by Hughes as well. I really like this one as it goes into lots of extra details,

who originated patterns, how to fish, alternate ties, etc.

Trout - Ray Bergman (actuall all his books are good) and the information is still relevant

Fly Tier's Benchside reference

Flies for Fish & Fisherman (Helen Shaw)

The Dette's = Eric Leiser

Fly Tying Materials - Eric Leiser For preparing wild animal skins and furs for our favorite sport ya need to do it right, can't let em go to waste

I'm hearing more and more good things about the new Mike Valla book on Catskill Flies.

Fatman

Trout Flies by Hughes - the big fat one. Expensive, but thought inspiring.

Tying flies with CDC by Leon Links - the suma of knowledge on CDC subject

Masterclass by Oliver Edwards - very nice approach, you can tell by his drawings he worked as draftsman

and Floating Flies and How to Dress them from F. Halford - you definitely should not agree with everything he says, but inspiring despite its age