Fly Tying
Russ

Vice advice

I am planning to buy a new vice and would like your comments. I am looking at the Renzetti Traveler and the Dyna-King Junior Trekker. Both are about the same price and, I think, quality. I would appreciate any info you could pass along.

Russ in Alaska

Ohhhh boy here we go laugh.gif just messin with ya Russ,anytime someone asks for a vise suggestion it always turns into a brand slam contest no matter what site it's on wink.gif

I cant comment on the Dyna King since i have never owned one,but i do own a renzetti and i've had it for at least 6-8 years now and it has served me very well.

Serch through the site there has been a few discussions on this that might help you decide.

SD

Let the battle begin! You're one of those trouble makers, aren't you? cool.gif

I vote neither, get an HMH, a real man's vice. j_k.gif

I have owned both Renzetti and DynaKing vises, and to summarize my experiences with them I'll just say this:

Hooks can slip in the Renzetti jaws, but never in the DynaKing jaws.

So I guess you know which one I exlusively use now. wink.gif

Hi Russ,

There are many quality brands out there today which all serve the purpose very well. The brand you end up chosing is entirely up to you, however make sure to check out the range of hook sizes that each vise will hold and read some reviews which can be foud by doing a simple search in Google.

Whatever you get, I would suggest going for a true rotary vise (one which can rotate the fly a full 360 degrees along the same axis of rotation). The quality of your flies will improve immensly and once you own one you will not go back (in my opinion).

If you ever plan on getting a Regal (not true rotary) be very careful of how close you put the hook to the edge of the vise. I can tell you from first hand experience that those spring loaded jaws spit the hook sometimes and slam against each other at about the speed of light, causing shrapnel to fly all over the place. Ruins the jaws and makes one hell of a sound. They are warrantied for life but it sucks to have your vise out of commision.

I want to thank everyone for their input to my vice question. I have a monumental decision to make soon. I have narrowed my search to the D-K Jr. Trekker and the Renzetti Traveler cam. Both appear to be a great vice for the money. I went to www.flyfisherman.com to look at their vice shootout. The D-K took tyers choice in the $200-300.00 category. The Renzetti didn't do as well in its class.

I have heard from many many tyers about their vices and their experiences. Although the majority chose the Renzetti, I feel the D-K may be a better choice for my tying style. My next step is to take some of my tying material to the local fly shop to do a few test flies on each vice.

Thank you again for all the advice. Stay tuned...

If I were in the market I'd eyeball the Renzetti Traveler Salt Water model. It's beefier all around than the standard Traveler and holds a wider range of hooks... solidly. cool.gif

I was looking at the barracuda jr and the traveller at cabelas over the weekned. IT was the first time I have seen the dynaking in person. I think I would definitely buy the DK.

john

FWIW, I owned the Renzetti Traveller for a very short time. The problems I had were that the main shaft wouldn't hold still while I was tying and the jaws had to be re-adjusted after each fly (even when using the same style and size hook). I ended up returning the vise in favor of the DK Barracuda, which I have found to be superior. I will honestly be very surprised if I ever buy another vise, at the rate at which I tie flies (about a dozen or so every one to two weeks depending on my schedule). This vise was definitely worth the money for me.

KF,

Don't feel guilty about the number of flies relative to the cost of the vise. I only tie one or two flies per week, it's the quality not the quantity. cool.gif

I own and use both the Dyna king barracuda jr. trekker and the Renzetti Traveler. I really like them both, I had the traveller first used it for everything and never had any problem with it except when tying on large hooks I sometimes had problems with them slipping. I bought the trekker for the large hooks and it holds large hooks better than any vise I have ever owned, I tie more on the trekker but that is because it's clamped to my bench. The traveler is used as a portable vise I take on trips, it holds very small hooks better. I think they are both great vices, you can't go wrong with either. I'd say if you tie lots of large stuff lean towards the trekker and if you tie more small stuff try the traveller.

In either case go somewhere you can try them both out and make sure they fit your tying style! Good Luck and have a ball

I use a MacKenzie and of course I think its the best. (No longer make them) HMH Standard Pro would be my next choice. 3M Sold MacKenzie to HMH I believe.

One can never have too many vices, err ... vises. Buy all of them!

I like to vary what I tie during a session, so I love my Regal for regular tying, especially saltwater flies. It's great for someone who doesn't tie a dozen of the same fly at one time, since no adjustment is needed for securing different size flies. I have the smaller Regal head for size 16 and smaller hooks, so I don't have to worry about hook placement. However, I want to add a Renzetti or other true rotary for fancier flies. Anyone think there is a better better rotary than Renzetti? I'm open to ideas for my wish list for when I can afford one. The penny jar is almost half full, so I'm getting hopeful.