Fly Tying
Wounded Minnow

BIG Fly Vises

I need a new vise, basically I just tie MASSIVE meaty flies for Musky/Pike. Curious what you guys would get if you were just tying really big flies?

Thanks!

Wounded Minnow

You will get lots of different answers to this question, so I will tell you what I use. I have two, Dyna-King Sidewinder, and a Nor-vise. Both have 20+ years of tying on them, and both work fine for me. If your ONLY looking at BIG flies, then it would be hard to beat the DK Sidewinder.

i dig the Regal for large 1/0 hooks, it hold them tight and strait. I use a renzetti for every thing smaller then a #6

WM, my Danvise will hold anything - and I mean ANYthing! - that I'll ever tie! I can put the tube of my bobbin in there and it clamps down quite nicely. It will also, w/o mods, hold size 14 hooks. As I can't SEE anything smaller than that well enough to tie, I don't worry about whether it will hold smaller ones.

:bugeyes:

I also use a Regal for large hooks, no adjusting - just open and close. You can tie on a huge hook and change to a tiny dry fly without adjustment

The Dyna King Tandem vise works well if you are tying articulated flies.

If not, you'll be hard pressed to find a better vise than a Dyna King Pro, Supreme, HMH Standard w/ Mag jaws, or a Regal with the Big Game jaws

My favorite Big Fly vise is the HMH spartan. I use it for all of my big steamers. Haven't had a hook slip out of it yet. I also like the heaviness of the vise. Warranty is great also..