Fly Tying
creekfishin

what hair for spinning

What hair do you use to spin the body hair are the tail ? i am wanting to tie some salt water baits and heading to the store to see what the cost is . i might get them online . done know from were yet . i haev bought from j.sockard once . shipping is a little longer than i like but he is a long way from me .

What hair do you use to spin the body hair are the tail ? i am wanting to tie some salt water baits and heading to the store to see what the cost is . i might get them online . done know from were yet . i haev bought from j.sockard once . shipping is a little longer than i like but he is a long way from me .

always use body hair for spinning and best to use rump or belly hair for the best spinning hair might try chris helm at this link http://www.whitetailflytieing.com/ just tell him what your tying and he will hook you up

Ditto what Riffle said! If you don't use good quality deer hair you will get frustrated quick! Call Chris Helm tell him what you are wanting to tie and in what size, he will send you the right hair to tie with.....Also make sure you are using the right thread.........GSP!

Good Luck!

Mike

I'll add another vote for Chris Helm. I called him when I started, he asked what I wanted to tie, and then sent me great hair. I also bought his Spinning DVD. That helped alot!

-wayne

Yep, what they said, AND remember to use the right thread! as stated above , the best is GX2 or GSP or something like Ultra thread, pretty much needs to be a gel spun poly.

Creekfishin, I have to be honest with you, It appears that you have only tied for a very short period of time (as seen in a previous post)

Spinning deerhair is not for the faint hearted and although its possible that someone as yourself, may be a natural BUT I suggest learning how to walk B4 you try running. I'm not saying you shouldn't have this plan of attack, but you should become familar with things like loose wraps, pinch technique, distribution wrap B4 investing into materials you may not use simply because you have bitten off more than you can chew, I'm just saying :dunno:

I have to disagree with Bruce on the thread. What he said is correct, and I use GX2. However I also use flymaster (non-GSP). I took a class from Mike George a year or two ago. he does not recommend GSP thread. Now to see his work and judge if he knows what he is doing look here: http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/corner.asp?page=6

I am not saying to not use GSP, just offering another option. I used both because I can't decide :)

-wayne

I have to disagree with Bruce on the thread. What he said is correct, and I use GX2. However I also use flymaster (non-GSP). I took a class from Mike George a year or two ago. he does not recommend GSP thread. Now to see his work and judge if he knows what he is doing look here: http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/corner.asp?page=6

I am not saying to not use GSP, just offering another option. I used both because I can't decide :)

-wayne

Wayne ,you mention Flymaster thread but unless it is flymaster plus , he will be in trouble." Flymaster" thread is rated at 70 Denier,flat waxed thread and that is too light for spinning. Flymaster plus comes in different Deniers as well, ie; 140 and 210, where 140 is tolerable the 210 is overkill. Any strong Flat waxed thread will suffice and I personally use GX2 and works the best for me, however it is pricey and only use it for the stacking/spinning, all other parts of the fly are tied with less expensive threads.

-wayne

Wayne ,you mention Flymaster thread but unless it is flymaster plus , he will be in trouble." Flymaster" thread is rated at 70 Denier,flat waxed thread and that is too light for spinning. Flymaster plus comes in different Deniers as well, ie; 140 and 210, where 140 is tolerable the 210 is overkill. Any strong Flat waxed thread will suffice and I personally use GX2 and works the best for me, however it is pricey and only use it for the stacking/spinning, all other parts of the fly are tied with less expensive threads.

I looked, Flymaster Plus 210.

wayne

Danvilles 219 flat waxed nylon is what i am useing well that is what i use on most stuff are 140 and if makeing small stuff i have some 70 but it snaps alot lol . i guess i pull to hard .

Interesting discussion on thread. I prefer Wapsi Ultra GSP 200 for spinning/stacking deer hair bass bugs; thus, I am very curious why Mike George "does not recommend GSP thread" . . . .

-- Mike

He gets it free from flymaster? Seriously I spoke with Mike and what he is using -- it works fantastic, the guy is hard core, WHO, by the way , has given me some tips and I will be trying them out!