Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Derington

Spey type flies

Never tried any spey type flies. Here are a couple but I need to try a few more B4 I become comfortable with them. Tell me what you think and suggestions are always welcome. I think I need to cut down on the Guinea, seems too heavy and long .These are rather small, alex jackson #7's

Bruce

post-4571-1263598781_thumb.jpg

Beautiful Bruce. Those will surely catch some attention on the water.

I am no expert on spey flies by any means but I think you're spot on. Cut down the guinea just a tad. I don't think it is too long just a bit too heavy. The wings look nice but to be more "spey" try to get them to sit a bit lower and shorter over the hook. The bodies are nicely built, but again to be just a bit more "spey" they should be as thin as you can get them. These are just a couple things to help a bit and make them a little more spey style but just preference stuff really and if the raised longer wing and thick bodies is what your after...by all means feed them to the fish... :D

Wonderful ties Bruce !!

Looks like you have the body , tail and ribbing done very well . A "true" spey fly , has a long barbuled palmered hackle along the body . Most hackle tip winged speys start the body hackle about 1/3 into the body , or at the second wind of tinsel . The King , Riach , Speal or any other "shrimpy" looking series of speys utilizing bronze mallard for the wings , usually has the hackle wound in after the tag . In these series of speys , tie the hackle in from the base of the feather and wind forward , so the barbules progressively get smaller towards the eye of the fly . Remember to strip one side of the hackle to achieve a sparse tie . The wings should not extend past the bend of the hook , but somewhere between the bend and the barb .

You may find it easier to practice on larger hooks as well .... a size #7 AJ is small in the world of speys .... try a #3 AJ .

In no way am I meaning to offend , nor am I an expert tyer ... just passing along some info that I have gathered along my tying journey .... as one student to another :rolleyes:

Overall , I like the look of your efforts and would fish them with maximum confidence !!!

Mike

Wonderful ties Bruce !!

Looks like you have the body , tail and ribbing done very well . A "true" spey fly , has a long barbuled palmered hackle along the body . Most hackle tip winged speys start the body hackle about 1/3 into the body , or at the second wind of tinsel . The King , Riach , Speal or any other "shrimpy" looking series of speys utilizing bronze mallard for the wings , usually has the hackle wound in after the tag . In these series of speys , tie the hackle in from the base of the feather and wind forward , so the barbules progressively get smaller towards the eye of the fly . Remember to strip one side of the hackle to achieve a sparse tie . The wings should not extend past the bend of the hook , but somewhere between the bend and the barb .

You may find it easier to practice on larger hooks as well .... a size #7 AJ is small in the world of speys .... try a #3 AJ .

In no way am I meaning to offend , nor am I an expert tyer ... just passing along some info that I have gathered along my tying journey .... as one student to another :rolleyes:

Overall , I like the look of your efforts and would fish them with maximum confidence !!!

Yo, this is the info I'm looking for, Thanks

Bruce

Mike

They look great Bruce!! A little refining and your there!! I agree with what has been mentioned as well.

I'm a bit of a stickler, so I wouldn't consider the flies without wings as "spey flies". More like a spider type fly or long hackled wet fly

A bigger hook will help you to "get in the groove," then you can go smaller if you wish.

Spey flies are sparse and I almost always strip one side of the hackle I am using for the body and the throat. After I have them both wrapped I take my thumb and forefinger and pull the hackles down below the hook shank (trying to part them down the middle on the top of the hook shank). I'll do this a few times and moisten my finger to keep them in place when mounting the wings. I trim any errant fibers on top of the hook shank and most times I trim all of the throat fibers that are on top of the hook shank as well. This helps to set the wing low and since there are less fibers to disrupt the bronze mallard wing.

Try to tie the bronze mallard in by the base of the fibers where the gray fibers are located. There are softer and the "velcro-like" fibers help to hold the wing together better. I find it tough to size bronze mallard for smaller hooks. I'm sure you'll find your sweet spot for hook size and hackle length.

Most traditional spey flies don't have tails, but as you know, the fish don't know what traditional is, nor do they know what a spey fly is either. I know I would fish any of those flies!!

Great work so far Bruce....can't wait to see the next batch!!

Frank

They look great Bruce!! A little refining and your there!! I agree with what has been mentioned as well.

I'm a bit of a stickler, so I wouldn't consider the flies without wings as "spey flies". More like a spider type fly or long hackled wet fly

A bigger hook will help you to "get in the groove," then you can go smaller if you wish.

Spey flies are sparse and I almost always strip one side of the hackle I am using for the body and the throat. After I have them both wrapped I take my thumb and forefinger and pull the hackles down below the hook shank (trying to part them down the middle on the top of the hook shank). I'll do this a few times and moisten my finger to keep them in place when mounting the wings. I trim any errant fibers on top of the hook shank and most times I trim all of the throat fibers that are on top of the hook shank as well. This helps to set the wing low and since there are less fibers to disrupt the bronze mallard wing.

Try to tie the bronze mallard in by the base of the fibers where the gray fibers are located. There are softer and the "velcro-like" fibers help to hold the wing together better. I find it tough to size bronze mallard for smaller hooks. I'm sure you'll find your sweet spot for hook size and hackle length.

Most traditional spey flies don't have tails, but as you know, the fish don't know what traditional is, nor do they know what a spey fly is either. I know I would fish any of those flies!!

Great work so far Bruce....can't wait to see the next batch!!

Frank

Ok,I got a larger hook and tried a "spey", not as easy to tie as one may think,need to try a few more B4 the verdict is in on my ability in tying these. tryed the horizonal method to set Bronze Mallard, boy setting Mallsrd is tricky

Bruce

post-4571-1263752300_thumb.jpg