Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

does anyone know what this guy uses?

was browsing the net and i found these flies...

post-4850-1264004843_thumb.jpg

does anyone know what he uses for the lips on those flies or were he gets them...

i am also wondering how he ties them in...

Looking closely, it looks to me like he is custom cutting them himself out of some thin plastic or plexiglass type material. As for tying them in, that's a good one. Not sure how you could get those on and then spin hair - it would definitely have to be stacked, and even then I would wonder about the grip on the hair. If you look closely under the eye of each fly, there appears to be the beginning of a slit in the middle of the plastic. I wonder if he isn't tying the fly, and then sliding the lip into the hair and gluing it in place??????

Deeky

Don't know if it is what he used here, but I've read about

using a rectangular piece cut from a hook box to make

lips for hairbugs. Just cut it to size, bore a hole in one

end wide enough to fit over the eye of the hook and glue

in place with epoxy.

Mike

Lexan...it's a plastic most frequently used on paintball goggles....easy to cut and shape but highly impact resistant

let me know how those cast for you ... :bugeyes:

I fooled around with this idea for a few days once.

I would try using the plastic off of coke bottles you should be able to get alot out of one and it is thin enough i would try a tear drop shape and lay down a good thread base after tying it in. the hair should spin fine too. and with using coke bottles it should be some what rounded too.

I dabbled around with that idea about fifteen years ago using plastic I cut from blister packed items like you get off the hook at the retail store. I wanted to make a fly that wobbled like a *ssshhhhhhh* (rapala)... hope I didn't say that too loudly here. :ph34r:

It worked okay. I cut mine more or less with an arrowhead tab on the end that is tied in, and the rounded tab protruding out the front. I just bent it down and let it be. They usually weren't tuned as well as a good stickbait, but they worked okay. More trouble than it was worth, in my opinion, but hey, part of the fun of tying is trying out some wild ideas once in a while. If that post of all my ugly flies that I put up a few days ago is still easy to find, that green newt pattern has a small plastic lip that I think you can see in the image. It definitely made it wobble a bit on the retrieve, but it ran pretty true.

here is what I found: they cast like pinwheels. Helicopter rotors.

A rapala or crankbait or whatever when cast USUALLY travels through the air tail-first, or it spins some due to the cast- also the body of the lure is much more massive than the body of a deer hair fly is. When you cast a fly on a fly rod, it almost totally travels through the air nose-first. That big old blade catches air just like it catches water. Line twist hell. They caught bass for me, but no more than other "normal" flies. To me, the trouble wasn't worth it.

My stinky opinion is, if I want to fish with a rapala or a crankbait, I'll do it with a spinning rod.

Hi again,

Problem with cutting your own?? Balanced Precuts are already done for you?

Line twist a small swivel will take care of that and keep your leaders short!

We all have to experience things for ourselves to see the proof ???

Good luck with your adventure!!!!

Blessings,

Jeremy

I've seen it done with the bottoms of the slurpy straws. Light weight, already shaped, comes in red, and you can get hundreds for a few dollars.

Yeah, I think at one time we have all played with this idea. So far the best I have found is Greggs Flylipps. I think that is the way he spells it, you should google his website. Also, I got some action discs for trolling flies and they work pretty good. The issue is getting the bill the correct size in proportion to the rest of the fly. This idea does have some merit, especially in catch and release sections where all they see is usually "normal" flies. Some people think of it as not fly fishing, but if you are up to it, I say do it and see what you can catch with them. ;)

the wobble blades are created by myself. I gave it to hopkins and holloway and now it is by cabelas.

My english is not so very good, but you can watch flytyingcontest.com the wobble fly. If someone is interested in the tying instruction how to tie the original wobble fly, you can send me a mail [email protected]

with best regards,

martie van den brand,

the Netherlands