Fly Tying

What are some good flies to tie with fox tail? I've recently acquired some from a friend of mine and was thinking maybe I could use it. Thanks

-Mark

Grey fox is used to tye the RAT series of salmon flies, and many other hairwing salmon flies. I have only used body fur for these wings. It's possible the tail hair will be too long or not have the correct markings for these patterns. But I am sure it would still make dandy streamer wings.

Grey fox is used to tye the RAT series of salmon flies, and many other hairwing salmon flies. I have only used body fur for these wings. It's possible the tail hair will be too long or not have the correct markings for these patterns. But I am sure it would still make dandy streamer wings.

Ok, thanks

I especially like to tie with fox, and have a collection of several tails from Red Fox, Silver Fox, Grey Fox & Arctic Fox, natural & dyed. (Also have coyote tails, which is a good tying material to have!)

There are several Red Fox hybrids, like Silver Fox that are farm raised for the fur & the tails are well worth having for tying purposes.

Fox tail is what you want for Clouser's Foxy Deep Minnow series. It can be substituted in many streamer patterns where bucktail would normally be used.

It can also be substituted in many patterns where marabou is usually used, like the tails on Woolly Buggers.

It works fine for flats flies for Bonefish, or Redfish, where you want a natural tan or brown color. Although it's easily dyed so there are many possibilities.

It's a great material for crayfish patterns, I use it in Smallmouth & Carp flies. I tie a pattern called a Squimp with it. It's a saltwater fly, but I like it as a crayfish pattern for bass.

I've found it's best to keep it sparse, although it's a fine textured hair, it can be very dense, especially Arctic Fox and will mat when wet if you try to use too much.

The underfur makes a real good dubbing for nymphs or wet flies.

I hope this helps! :)

A Mixed Media is the only thing that comes to mind but by the looks of it, you've gotten some really good ideas already!

I especially like to tie with fox, and have a collection of several tails from Red Fox, Silver Fox, Grey Fox & Arctic Fox, natural & dyed. (Also have coyote tails, which is a good tying material to have!)

There are several Red Fox hybrids, like Silver Fox that are farm raised for the fur & the tails are well worth having for tying purposes.

Fox tail is what you want for Clouser's Foxy Deep Minnow series. It can be substituted in many streamer patterns where bucktail would normally be used.

It can also be substituted in many patterns where marabou is usually used, like the tails on Woolly Buggers.

It works fine for flats flies for Bonefish, or Redfish, where you want a natural tan or brown color. Although it's easily dyed so there are many possibilities.

It's a great material for crayfish patterns, I use it in Smallmouth & Carp flies. I tie a pattern called a Squimp with it. It's a saltwater fly, but I like it as a crayfish pattern for bass.

I've found it's best to keep it sparse, although it's a fine textured hair, it can be very dense, especially Arctic Fox and will mat when wet if you try to use too much.

The underfur makes a real good dubbing for nymphs or wet flies.

I hope this helps! :)

Thanks alot!!

Look no further than Mike Schmidt's(Redwings) Foxee Bastard.

OK look further but Mike's pattern is great!

thanks for the ideas!!

I have just recently started using fox tail and really love it for spey and tube flies..

Adiposfin- Wow.. GREAT GREAT looking flies. Those are some of my favourite patterns/ colours of tube flies and I have been working on increasing my tying skills to be able to consistently tie similar flies whether it be tubes or spey/salmon flies.

Also, Could you PM me and let me know what brand of double hooks you are using? I have been having trouble finding good double hooks here in Ontario. I'm after double hooks for tube flies AS WELL AS double salmon hooks with an up eye.

Thanks