Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flytyer14

Salmon Fly, And a popper

What should I tail the popper with? And what do you think about my salmon fly...This is the very first salmon fly i ever tied.. and it's on a streamer hook.

Thanks

-Mark

post-25611-1269895402_thumb.jpg

post-25611-1269895449_thumb.jpg

On the salmon fly- Smaller head. just a few wraps and a whip finish usually works. The head is just way too overpowering in this one. For the tag end (gold) wrap it very tight you can see how loose it is. Use a smaller rib on the fly. Use floss instead of thread. it lays down much flater.

On the Popper- Wow this looks great! so far your best work yet! Add a clear coat or epoxy the head. I really like a hackle tail. 2 hackle tips facing opposite of each other (notice each hackle has a natural curve face those opposite of each other so when you strip the line in the tails go together and then separate like a frogs legs.) you can also use silli legs. Wrap hackle around the hook shank for the hackle part of the fly.

yeah i dont have any floss either. i usually just use a flat material of some sort for the body

I saw that and printed it out! I hope it helps me but i can't paint poppers as good as you!! so i doubt it will be as good as it could be...:( but practice makes perfect!

I don't know if its right or not, but when making those hairwings, try to keep the tag closer to where the barb would meet the shank if you drew a line instead of so far back on the bend. It will give you a better flow

Never tied a popper but as far as the Salmon fly, it seems to have all the parts but there are a couple of things that need attention. The tag is tied loosely, and when constructing a fly (streamers) you should never allow anything to go past the bend , meaning the tag is tied in too far back. the furthest wrap should be in-line (or parallel with the barb), and normally the tag is tied with fine oval tinsel or "round" tinsel, how ever some are tied with flat tinsel but usually fine or extra fine. as stated above , the body is normally tied with floss or silk, the ribbing is oval tinsel and the head is too long. you can get some great tips and techniques by going to Ronn Lucas's site. http://www.ronnlucassr.com/ then go to How to dress salmon flies

Thanks bruce! I was just messing around with this one so i so don't think i'll get the floss.....No money cause i'm just 14...:( but eventually I'll get it.