Fly Tying
yellow bomber

Making your own dubbing...this is awesome

So i picked up some great little fox masks at the latest fly tying expo in the area, but wasn't really sure what to do with them. The fur is really nice looking stuff, blackish tips followed by a white bar and then to a goldenish brown. I used if for tails on a few buck bugs, and small wings on another couple, but thought there had to be something more. Well i found this little gem of an article from across the pond last night, and for any "noobs" like myself, you'll be dazzled at the results of what you can do.

The author should be commended, there was a lot of time put into this one.

Check it out----> Linky

Got some amazing new dubbing and whole new level of material need lol

Cheers

This is a great find! I have been using the coffee grinder technique for a while and you can make almost any dubbing you need.

There was a lot of extra really good information here.

Get a used coffee grinder or a new one for that matter. Then get everyone type of yarn you can and go to it!

iaflyfisher

That is the most informative, complete treatise on dubbings and technique I've ever seen. Awesome! :punk:

Hi yellow bomber;

Just finished my first read of the link all I can say is WOW!

I defientely will read through that a few times, a lot of great information on dubbing.

Thanks for sharing this;

Wayne

A good source for dubbing is the local pet grooming palace. All kinds of colors and textures are on the floor, jus waiting to be picked up. This is also a good reason to brush or bathe the dog or cat on a regular basis, especially right before tying.

Hot Damn Yellow!! That is a great link!

I copy pasted like someone suggested. It wound up being 198 pages as is. I deleted the left column, reset the margins and converted Table to Text and got it down to 168 pages. Then I rotated the page to landscape and did a two column page and got the document down to 106 pages. Then I went in and reduced the single page sized images 60% and got the document down to 69 pages and 6mb.

Thanks again,

Kirk

Hot Damn Yellow!! That is a great link!

I copy pasted like someone suggested. It wound up being 198 pages as is. I deleted the left column, reset the margins and converted Table to Text and got it down to 168 pages. Then I rotated the page to landscape and did a two column page and got the document down to 106 pages. Then I went in and reduced the single page sized images 60% and got the document down to 69 pages and 6mb.

Thanks again,

Kirk

oooooh - that sounds like a great idea! Would you care to share your re-finished, edited document ? Perhaps a link or attachment to the document :D ??

best regards -

Bob V

Bob V, I tried using the Attachment Editor here below the reply box but did not have any luck. It says a single upload can be 100MB and the one I tried uploading is only 6MB so I don't know what the problem is. Must be operator error. If you tell me how to do it, I'll be glad to post the WORD file I created.

Kirk

Awesome link. I bet there will be a sudden run on dubbing rakes. What a neat idea. Thanks for the post.

I added the Petijean Magic Tool about a month ago, wow does it let you turn all sorts of materials into dubbing. Blender and the Magic tools and talk about a fun evening, my wife just rolls her eyes. LOL

Rick