Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smalliestalker

foam poppers

So I have never made a foam hard bodied popper before....I am a deer hair nut.....These are my first attempts....Not very pretty, but they will catch fish I'm sure....

post-22995-1273156230_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1273156259_thumb.jpg

Without a doubt those will catch. Nice job. What hooks did you use? Looks like the larger ones have a turned donw eye and the small ones a straight eye.

Kirk

I wish my first poppers had looked so good.

To echo something Kirk said, I find that with straight eye hooks it is easier to to keep the hook eye clear of paint and clear coat. It also seems easier to tie the tippet and the popper head can be seated closer to the eye which adds a wee bit more to what is left of the hook shank in the rear to tie other materials to.

Damn Stippled, I said that? I don't remember half of what I say, at least this time, it made sense. Now, if you use the 60degree angled jig hooks with the eye turned in line with the hook shank/bend, there is no problem with the paint or running a line cause you're running the line across the front. I should try tying a few more with those Eagle Claw 413s, I think that's the number.

Kirk

My bad Kirk! I should have said your comment about the turned down eye brought to mind certain observations of my own about that type of eye orientation as applied to making poppers.

That's okay Stippled, it felt good for a little while thinking I actually said something that made sense. I knew it was to good to be true!

Kirk

If you don't want them, Mr Cohen, I will be happy to take them off your hands. Just let me know and I'll PM you my address post haste! :D :D

Good looking ties! They'll fish just fine.