Fly Tying
bigbear54

native brook trout flys ???

looking for some sugestions to ty.new at tying so basic patterns probably would be best. thanks for any help.

If you can find a copy of Catch That Fish: The Essential Guide to Fly Fishing Tactics by Peter Gathercole it lists patterns by species and type of water. Plus this book gives a large picture and the recipe for each fly. Some of the Brookie patterns he suggests are Wolly Bugger, Zonker, Hare's Ear Nymph and the F-Fly.

In my experience brookies have an abnormal attraction to bright yellow. Partridge and Yellow, Yellow Humpy, Yellow Wullf...you get the picture.

In my experience brookies have an abnormal attraction to bright yellow. Partridge and Yellow, Yellow Humpy, Yellow Wullf...you get the picture.

Thats cool, Up here in the north (Canada) Brookies really like the colour Red!

Blessings,

Jeremy

LOL, I caught a few wild brookies in the Smokey Mountain National Park last fall on a Little Yellow Sally (red butt) with a Partridge and Yellow soft hackle dropper fly. They hit both of ‘em. My limited brookie experience tells me you boys are dead on. Hehehe

-D

I agree, I think they brookies down here have an infatuation with yellow. I also think brookies are pretty opportunistic feeders, and they'll bite anything that is presented appropiately.

The others hit it squarely with Hare's Ear, buggers, and yellow flies....but nobody told you about an Adam dry fly. I wouldn't go without having one on me.

Brookies are pretty aggressive.

In my experience, I really like #16 - 20 Beadhead Pheasant Tail when feedig under the surface & EHK or Adams on the dry.

Basiclly you got to match the hatch.

Good Luck and Tight Lines

juice :P

looking for some sugestions to ty.new at tying so basic patterns probably would be best. thanks for any help.

they will hit anything they can fit in there mouth i recommend dry flies (Adams) later in the season use small terrestrials