Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tail Stalker

Norlander Nor-Vise

Does anyone have any experience with this vice. I am ready to upgrade, as I am now selling flies on ebay, and my Peak rotary vice, just isn't cutting it anymore. I know that people are high on Renzettis, Dynakings, etc. but I was very impressed with the online video series with the Nor-Vise. Would someone who has bought one, kindly give me their opinion? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,

I've been looking at the Nor-Vise for awhile and will definitely be ordering one even if I have to give up eating for a month or so :) right now my space is very limited but this will hopefully change soon when we move this summer.

Been using a Danvise for a couple of years. It's a great vise but the jaws are it's only weakness. You really need to be careful how you adjust the jaws. My first rotary vise and it's done very well but it's time to upgrade.

So if you get one I think you will be quiet pleased. If you haven't already done so watch the videos available using the Nor-vise.

Mike

Gentlemen,

thank you very much. Mike, I know what you mean, that vise fires me up. I tie saltwater patterns and sell on line and, of course, use for myself. If that vise isn't a good one, then Norlander just does a great job on the videos because that vise looks sweet! If it works as well as it looks, and is durable, I can't see buying anything else.

Keep the feedback coming. If I get one, I'll be sure to let ya'll know. Got to go tie more flies, I'm still $200 short :)

I tied on other vises for 20 years and hated it!

The Nor-vise is the best for all types of flys..

If you have issues with the vise then it is not the vise that has issues.. it is as simple as that. there is not a fly that can't be tied better on the Nor-vise..

try one out first if you can. The curve for me was about 3 minutes and then I was dubbing better bodies and wings.. have not stopped..

I am thinking about getting a Peak vise, could you tell me what issues are making you want to upgrade? thanks.

I ordered a Nor vise for 1 year ago with all the additional jaws and tools, was very impressed looking at the videos from Mr Norlander.

But i didn't like the vise at all. Both in-line jaws are bad for tying on the hook bend ending that i only used the fine point jaws which are bad for spinning the vise and do not work for big hooks.

I would honestly recommend you to get another vise, i have a Swiss petitjean master vise now and think its great. Dyna king, renzetti, tiemco, amstaff, montana moongose are classed as very good vices here in Sweden and some of them are not that expensive, specielly the mongoose. HMH is also very good but not a rotary vise.

I am thinking about getting a Peak vise, could you tell me what issues are making you want to upgrade? thanks.

Lionus,

where do I start? Well, I was strictly looking at price, initially, as I was just getting into fly tying. Now, I'm custom tying and selling on line. The vise may have been a good starter vise, but I never even used the rotary function. The jaws, I now realize, are horrible. They don't hold a hook like higher quality vises, slipping on almost every tie. In order to get the vise to firmly hold a hook, you practically break your thumb mashing down the tensioning arm. It's poorly designed. I know everybody has an opinion, but I would seriously caution anyone considering the Peak.

Rick

interesting, thanks for the heads up. Has anyone else had this problem on here? I'm sure it isnt anywhere as good as the top end vises. What size flies are you normally tying?

I have no experience using one, but this is the first real warning that I have gotten in getting one. Have you tried the different jaws?

Lionus, I tied on a PEAK for about two years. I'm not going to disagree with Rick's experience, but I will tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed my PEAK. For trout flies I think its about as good as it gets. The midge jaws are spectacular if you tie tiny stuff on scud hooks (as I do frequently). The jaw adjustment is a bit coarser than some other vises, but it's a well-made piece of hardware.

Understand that every vise (even the Nor-Vise) is a series of compromises to meet the design goals of the person putting it together. I've found that most vises have a type of tying or size of hook that they're just not great at. For my Dyna-King Barraduda, with the standard jaws, that's about the 8-10 range. Above and below that, no sweat. But I have a bugger of a time getting a size 8 streamer hook to hold without wobbling. On my PEAK, it was a size 4 and 6 Mustad saltwater hook.

As long as you're dropping more than about $150 on a vise, you're pretty well guaranteed to get something that will work well. Whether it's an HMH, Renzetti, PEAK, Dyna-King, Regal, or Nor-Vise, they all allow you to hold the hook to tie materials on. The trick is finding one that works the way you do.

Lionus and others,

Esquire may have a point, when it comes to a vise having it's own wheel house. I can only speak from the perspective of a saltwater fly tier, who sells flies on line. From that perspective, the Peak is not a good vise. I have no axe to grind with Peak. It served its purpose for about 2 years, but I know enough now, that that vise is not suitable for person tying saltwater flies at a pretty good quantity level. The jaws, I promise you, will not hold the way you want them to and the clamping arm is painful to use. Of course, it's hard to get everyone to agree on anything, so I'm not knocking Esquire's opinion. He makes some valid points.

However, with the Peak, if you get one and find you are not happy with it, remember I told you so :)

Happy tying my friends.

Rick

I tied on a Nor-Vise for a little over 2 years and hated it. Buy a Dyna-King.

Trout bum, which model for saltwater guy?

What did you not like about the Nor-Vise?

I tied on a Nor-Vise for a little over 2 years and hated it. Buy a Dyna-King.

Trout bum, which model for saltwater guy?

What did you not like about the Nor-Vise?

In answer to your first question, the Barracuda is a good selection for a saltwater tyer. You can tie a large range of hook sizes up to 10/0 and the jaws are bullet proof.

In answer to your second question I was unhappy with a lot of things with the Nor-Vise. The jaws suck, the fit and finish were terrible, the jaws wobbled unless you cranked the friction adjustment knob down all the way. You need tools to make any changes, I tie from #18 trout flies up to 8/0 classic Atlantic salmon flies so I was always changing jaws. You need allen wrenches to make any changes with the damned thing. If you buy the Nor-Vise plus all of the jaws, you can spend $600-$700. You can buy a LAW for just a little more money.

I practically gave mine away and bought a LAW, the best vise on the market.

Lionus,

where do I start? Well, I was strictly looking at price, initially, as I was just getting into fly tying. Now, I'm custom tying and selling on line. The vise may have been a good starter vise, but I never even used the rotary function. The jaws, I now realize, are horrible. They don't hold a hook like higher quality vises, slipping on almost every tie. In order to get the vise to firmly hold a hook, you practically break your thumb mashing down the tensioning arm. It's poorly designed. I know everybody has an opinion, but I would seriously caution anyone considering the Peak.

Rick

I've tied thousands of flies from size #4 to #28 on mine and never had any problem with hooks slipping. I use the midge jaws for smaller flies, but the regular jaws work well down to #18 or #20. I don't know what the problem was, but must have been something. I'm just saying... ;)