Fly Tying
Kirk Dietrich

Invitational Fly Swaps

Just a place for those with pro & con opinions on invitational swaps so that swap notices can just focus on the swap.

Kirk

I don't know about the pro's & cons, but I think they are extremely neat. I understand some people feel left out because they didn't get invited, well I think that is all rather silly. There are only twelve spots and hundreds of AMAZING tyers on here. So just hope for next time ;)

I don't have a problem with them. I think I tie a respectable bug, but I have no where near the talent of so many others here. I think pictures of the flies should be mandatory, though!!

Perhaps, if I take more pictures of my best flies (not every single fly that comes out of my vise) and post them, I may become more 'well known' as a tyer? Swap more and bitch less? I don't know...

I don't see anything wrong with them. It's not about getting the best tiers or is it even a representation of the "best". It is only a few people's request for participation from someone they admire. As smallieFanatic said, to think it is anything else is just silly.

The world has gone down hill since they started giving out a trophy to every single child that participates in Little League.

I have no problem with them. I think they make people really stand up and notice.

I can see how someone could feel left out but if it bugs them that much why not start their own with their own theme?

Personally I think we should find the a**hole who started these swaps and kick the snot out of him....Wait , I think it was me.

I could have ran that first invitation swap as a normal swap and just invited the tyer I wanted a fly from , by pm . But by giving him a chance to choose a tier he would like to recieve a fly from made particpating in the swap an easier decission. Alot of the tiers in that first invitational swap have not participated in swaps in years and may not have, if not invited. Remember each tier only chose the next tier.The list of tiers had infinite posibillities .If I were to hold the swap again the list of tiers would be vastly different . You might as well blame Matt that it is a warmwater swap. That excludes most salmon tiers ,realistic tiers and guys known mostly for their cold water patterns .These guys are not going to be on the front of everyones mind when deciding who to invite for a warmwater swap.

I was lucky enough to get in the second one :headbang: (my username used to be ibian) and it was great. Thanks for starting it all Fred

I think it would be awesome and honor to be invited. I have learned so much from all of you on the forum and the swaps have all been a blast. But more importantly how many of you have built the relationships within the forum to be recognized by an invitation?

Just a question...

Let's move on, cut the whining and get on with the reason why we are all here - to learn from one another. Ya'll sound like a bunch of pissy women. LOL!

Fred is right alot of people that get invited to the swaps haven't been in a swap in along time I was lucky enough to have Ted Patlin in my invite swap and cherish the #12 silver doctor he put in the swap I wasn't chosen for the first one but instead of whinning about it I just started my own and if you look at the other 2 invite swaps and compare them it isn't a circle jerk

the only name that appears on both lists is Day5 so it seems to me that there is some other personal reasons for having a problem with them

1. Me

2. E. Oregon Midge

3. Micke

4. Ibian

5. Claudia

6. Bud Guidry

7. ted patlin

8. day5

9. hexfli

10. Pelhament

11. Brucs Derrington

12. Flykid

13. Steelie

1. Fred H.................realistic fishable ant .....ready

2. letumgo...............coppertone blonde ....recieved

3. Day5 ...................Stone & spidder grub....recieved

4. ridderbos3 ....................recieved

5. Redwings 1...............................................recieved

6. dwiltshire .....................recieved

7. Hans Weilenmann..........TBD

8. Vern-O.......................... Golden stone size 4 and pseudo peacock size 14 ..recieved

9. Old Hat..........................recieved

10. Isonychia..................Heckham Red (Classic wet fly)recieved

11. JoshP..........................Mosquito......................recieved

12. Mike Boyer...........The Cunningham ..................recieved

they are for the better of the forum. they make me WANT to tie better. they dont make me think i suck. the make me think i just need more work and it pushes me to become a better tier. I like a little competiton where i work the other 4 guys are AMAZING fly tiers. i am always trying to improve to be able to tie a better fly. I think i make ok flies but i will never make the best flies. you can always learn more. and just because i don't make a invitation swap makes me want to tie more of that certain type of fly. for instance i have not been invited to the warmwater swap but i am working on making better bass flies so next time hopefully i will be chosen!

Well, I'm pissed! Screw you all! LOL! JUST KIDDING! Swap away, fellas. I don't think I've been in a swap for around 4 years. Swapping is a definite addiction and to be invited to one would be cool, but I can barely tie a dozen for myself, let alone for 12 others. It's a cool idea though, kinda makes ya feel special. On that note, I would like to invite everyone on here to send me flies, thank you. No repeat patterns either. That'll be 1200 dozen expected by June 15th. Get to work. -Jamie

On that note, I would like to invite everyone on here to send me flies, thank you. No repeat patterns either. That'll be 1200 dozen expected by June 15th. Get to work. -Jamie

welcome to the james daly i invite you to tie me flies swap :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :ripped: :ripped:

nice one :headbang: