Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NJ All Day

Popper Tail materials?

Hi guys, I found this fly while looking up foam poppers on google called the "Spongbob Squarehead". It looks easy and fun to tie. The man that invented it originally ties it for musky but i was looking to make it smaller and go after pike and bass on it. So i was wondering what are some good tail materials.

I was looking for something that goes streamlined when stripped and then flares out when at rest. And something with tons of movement.

Thanks.

I usually use marabou for mine. I do some foam topwaters that are 100% synthetic materials and I will use a clump of rubber leg/skirt material. When I use marabou, I will tie in some flashabou or krystal flash in between each marabou plume for some flash.

For "something that goes streamlined when stripped and then flares out when at rest," I don't think anything works better than streamer neck hackle. If you don't want to spend much money or you want to get more colors than the single color on a whole cape, you can also find these feathers in just about any fly shop sold for about $5 labelled as "strung neck hackle." A whole neck is a little bit easier to work with, though, because you can more easily match up feather sizes and pull feathers from opposing sides of the cape to match up curvatures.

-- Mike