Fly Tying
Old Hat

Caddis Wet Patterns

These are a couple very effective patterns I came up with years ago. I haven't tied them in a while so I thought I would reminisce a bit and tie up a few. Both are actually quite simple ties.

Diving Caddis

This uses cdc for the hackle. I like to mark the legs with a marker. The cdc will leave a trail of bubbles behind the fly when it initially is tugged under the surface moved in a swimming motion. The wing and antennae are from the same feather. The partridge feather is pulled back over the head and eyes leaving behind a couple of the lower fibers for the antennae.

CaddisDiving.jpg

Caddis Pupa

This one uses UV Ice Dub and a natural hair mix for the body and black Ice Dub for the head. The antennae and legs are formed in the same manner as the diving caddis, just pulled down to form a throat.

CaddisPupa.jpg

Wow! :headbang:

Usually you look at all the flies on internet and like them, nicely tied, maybe gives you an idea or two...sometimes, not so often, you go...WOW1

This one I LIKE. My style. I think I'll do a complete rip-off, if that is OK?

The diving pupa:

What is the body made of, some mix I suppose?

Do you tie in the CdC before folding the partridge backwards?

Cheers

Martin

Nice tie!

Really like the style of the flies; Buggy and still realistic. :)

I know just the patch of water on a river in GA where that would be the perfect pattern during the black caddis hatch. Superbly executed

Hi Carl

Tried your pattern yesterday evening, not nearly as sparse and balanced as yours but a start.

This one I better call Diving Chardonnay Caddis

The CdC colour was very similar to the fluid I had in my glass beside the vise yesterday evening.

Cheers

Martin

post-23922-1291461521_thumb.jpg

Hi Carl

Tried your pattern yesterday evening, not nearly as sparse and balanced as yours but a start.

This one I better call Diving Chardonnay Caddis

The CdC colour was very similar to the fluid I had in my glass beside the vise yesterday evening.

Cheers

Martin

post-23922-1291461521_thumb.jpg

Beautiful fly! What hook did you use?

Thanks guys, I will add it to the database and possibly get a step by step in. I just got to get some time to put it together.

Martin, you did a fine job on that one. I don't see anything wrong with it. I use a full soft hackle feather for the wing and antennae. The very last step is to bring the soft hackle back and over the eyes. The full feather actually sits on the cdc hackle but the cdc will protrude through. I also like to add a spot of color to the butt as an egg sack.

Hey guys they are great looking caddis flies! I love fishing caddis patterns. Can't wait to tie some up and try them on the Tully in Reading, PA. Will post some pics when I tie some up. Keep the patterns coming, and good luck on the stream. :yahoo:

Flytyman1