Fly Tying
troutguy

Traditional Catskill Dry Flies

OK warts and all here's my first attempt at a Catskill dry :boxed:

Couple of firsts for me here, Catskill dry, split wing, floss body and palmered abdomen. HELLLLP :wallbash:

I don't have long enough tailing material in the dk ginger hackle so I used a light coq de leon, I thought about making the palmered hackle light ginger to balance the fly. I know that probably breaks the rules a bit and was wondering what you think? The hackle in the second pic isn't the greatest but I included it as a comparison for the palmer hackle colour.

5299764770_9ee0073587_b.jpg

5299764772_b62a641e6f_b.jpg

Nice flys for a down under guy...you have got the catskill down just right.

Your fly's proportions are almost dead on. From the photo it looks like the collar hackle might be bit oversized. And I would put a few more turns of hackle in front of the wing. Otherwise, a very pretty fly.

Narcodog, very nice flies. Nice Hendrickson alternative when the color of the standard isn't quite right. Ed Van Put is a super nice guy.

I got a package from Australia yesterday! Nice flies! I think you have the wing placement correct. Many of the western and Appalachian/Smoky Mountain flies have a thicker hackle and a wing placement in the mid thorax. Catskill flies are usually sparse, wing placement is more towards the front of the fly. Your extra flies are well appreciated.

The head gap is great.

Cheers troutguy,

Thanks for the heads up, I'm glad they made the swim. :D

Thanks for your kind comments, let me know if you catch some US trout on the extras?

Rockworm - I appreciate your feedback, only just noticed, so will try your suggestion on the next batch :)

Thanks again for hosting troutguy and for letting a dodgy Aussie take part :P

Cross Specials have left the building!

Does anybody know if mail will be delivered on Monday, Jan 17? (Martin Luther King holiday)

Gotta tell you guys I'm really looking forward to seeing these flies. Troutguy, great idea and really appreciate your hosting.

John

Cross Specials have left the building!

Does anybody know if mail will be delivered on Monday, Jan 17? (Martin Luther King holiday)

Gotta tell you guys I'm really looking forward to seeing these flies. Troutguy, great idea and really appreciate your hosting.

John

No mail or banks on Monday in the US.

Mine went out today by priority mail. I forgot Monday was a holiday as I had planned to get them out then. Thy should still make it on time.

Sorry for the tardiness. Somehow I had that written down as due on the 31 of January and didn't realize my mistake until late last week so I had to scramble at the last minute. Unfortunately, I'm afraid it shows in the results.

They will still fish.

Coupla extras for the host.

Thanks for doing this. I agree, it was a great idea!

I have heard from everyone except troutnabout. Did not receive anymore today. Thank you all for updating me.

I will send troutnabout another message.

Salmonid yours got delivered to my neighbor, but he doesn't fish so he brought them over. Nice ties, the group will like them.