Fly Tying
Gustav F.

Stonfo bobbin VS Rite bobbin

I don't know what my problem is. I used the Rite, but when I rewind the thread back on the spool, like after wrapping dubbing and I am retrieving the slack string, I make the adjustment of the bobbin change. I always have to fiddle with it every time I retrieve slack. Its like the click setting in my Rite is too loose. Good old griffin in my palm is hard to beat. My hand is the drag setting. I never have to fiddle with it. Does anyone else have this problem when using the Rite? I would like to know. Or do I just suck.

Great thread, It's nice to see so much first hand user information on these bobbins. Not just a sales pitch to hook you into buying. Been wondering about the rite bobbins as of late, good timing with this.

I have both, and just recently began using the Stonfo. I am very impressed by them, though was skeptical @ first with the drag adjustment (which is just a plastic end cap that tightens w/ a piece of material to work as the drag). There are various sizes of the Stonfo, and first was drawn to the smaller, but now use the standard size for everything. I am going to purchase a lot more of them to have my most used threads on, and recommend it to others.

TC

I have 11 Rite Bobbins; wonderful to use but takes some time to change out the thread. Hence, the 11 bobbins. Going to stop at 15.

No you wont...laugh.png

I have 11 Rite Bobbins; wonderful to use but takes some time to change out the thread. Hence, the 11 bobbins. Going to stop at 15.

No you wont...laugh.png

Maybe not. If Lyle, the owner of Rite Bobbins, let's me work his booth, I may get more. Maybe I should stand out on an intersection with a sign that reads " will work for bobbins".

I mentioned earlier that I have a bunch of these bobbins; they aren't perfect, none are, but for me they are good and do a great job for their purpose, controlling thread while tying. The tension control is simple, just turn the small dial on the side and it's either easier or harder to pull the thread off the spool.

Occasionally with slack, thread will slip off the spool and into the space between spool and bobbin arm. Sometimes that can be corrected by replacing the thread on the spool. At other times, you have to remove the thread spool, rewind the thread, and replace it on the bobbin. It is nothing difficult and takes only a minute to do.

Adjusting tension is just as simple. There is absolutely nothing hard, difficult, or confusing about using a Rite bobbin once you've held it in your hand and used it for a short time.

The other bobbin in this discussion appears to be just a knock off of the Rite, change one minor item on the bobbin and steal someone else's product. That, folks, is my take on this. I have really enjoyed my Rites. I don't own the business or any stock, so I'm just voicing my opinion. If you have problems with a Rite, you'll probably have problems with anything mechanical you use. These things are extremely simple but very effective tools that serve their purpose well.

I have one Rite bobbin. I rarely use it, so I won't be buying another. I prefer to control the thread tension with the palm of my hand. I find it easier, and much quicker than adjusting the screw, and counting clicks.

That said, the Rite feels a bit smoother than a standard bobbin, but at 3 times the price, it's not worth it for me. I'd rather have 3 bobbins permanently threaded.