Fly Tying
centerx

Alternative fly tying materials

The protective clear plastic placed over screens on new electronics is generally quite stretchy and makes good overbodies for scuds and such.

salami skins for shell backs on czech nymphs

textured aluminum foil for baking potatos for covering poppers

textured plastic deli wrap paper

Salami, baked potatoes, deli, it sounds like your making lunch.

I've used a banjo string to make lots of bobbin threaders. Just bend/fold/kink and add a handle.

Sewing needles glued into a small dowel or wine cork make nice bodkins.

A lifetime supply of copper wire can be harvested from mini Christmas light strings. There's always a few strands of lights that don't work the next year. I cut off sections a few inches long, and pull out a strand at a time as I use it. The green insulation keeps the rest of the strands held neatly.

The insulation of the Christmas light wires could probably be used either as a tube or wrapped on a hook.

I've also taken apart motors, hard drives, etc. and harvested the wire and magnets. Hard drive magnets are REALLY strong. Great for picking up the hooks you spilled on the floor. I've gotten green, brown, silver, and copper colored wire from these items.

Another source of that thin foam-when the wife gets a pedicure, they put these little footie things on their feet & toes. The toe separators are thicker foam.

I bought some type of decoration at Hobby Lobby made from goose biots or some type of bird biot, They have them dyed several different colors.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/fresh-impression-shortbread-feather-plumage-662700/

Or maybe it was this thing. Hard to tell from the pics. http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/red-feather-pick-915579/

Other Hobby Lobby items that look good. You can just walk through the store or browse their site and use your imagination.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/cascata-copper-feather-spray-702589/

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/red-dyed-peacock-feather-273680/

Many other feathers, beads, threads, yarns, fake furs, etc.

Right on dontheo. I got a pint of lacquer & a gallon of thinner. I'll get several lifetimes out if it. And I can mix it in varying thicknesses if needed, or thin the lacquer if it thickens up.

How well does the shellac hold up in water? I think lacquer might work a little better.

Flyandice

I don't know which I meant. I think shallac is from trees. I would have to go back and check because I can't remember what I did yesterday sometimes, but it seems to me it was used quite a bit by old time tiers. It comes pigmented and I think it would help add color to the head.

I have no idea of what the hell iam talking about. Time for a web search

Great link. Yep, shellac is insect poo and alcohol soluble and comes in many different forms. Lacquer is made by mixing nitric acid and cellulose (called nitrocellulose lacquer). Both can be dissolved with their respective solvent, even after they have hardened. Varnish and polyurethane cure by oxidation, and won't re-dissolve with a solvent after they are cured.

I think for the head of a fly, any of the above would work. Depends what solvent smells you like!

There are some cotton swabs that are made on plastic tubes, which work well for tying small tube flies, such as for Shad or Crappies. rolleyes.gif

You can usually cut 3 or 4 tubes from one swab. smile.gif

i would like to see that ...in box here

Holy Crap, these are awesome!!! I just got into fly fishing and tying about a month ago and this has become my new hobby but if you ask my wife it is my mistress!

I have used the following:

Colored sheets of polyester or fabric, scraped or brushed with a gun brush to get colored dubbing

Untwist yarn and pull into fine strips for dubbing or wings or parachutes
Any chip bag cut into strips (Mylar Strips)
Lead tape for my golf clubs cut into thin strips to give weight
plastic forks for tails
Kool Aid and Vinegar to dye any of my materials
Dryer Lint to create dubbing
Synthetic Craft Fur (Wet or Dry Flies)
Dental Floss to create a tapered body without using up a lot of thread
We are using my wife's friend's Cricket to cut out foam bodies for terrestrials

Pipe cleaners (Wooley Buggars)
Sally's Hard as Nails (Head Cement)
Krazy Glue for head cement
Feathers from Michael's or any craft store
Old Fishing line (monofilament)
I have even used old bait hooks to tie on
Old Flip Flops (Bodies for Terrestrials)
My daughter's hair ties (Ribbing for Scuds)
Old Paint Brushes (Dry Fly)
Zip-Lock Bags, Grocery Bags, Condoms, Latex Gloves (Scud Backing) If you wet your fingers with water and then slide the latex between your fingers, it will make it more transparent
Finger Nail Polish for adding color
Sharpie Markers for adding color
Rubber Bands for Ribbing or Legs
Keep your drying packets from electronics, food and medications, place into an old medicine bottle and use to quick dry your flies
Scotch Guard your dry flies 24 hours before use and you will not have to use gink

If I come up with any more I will continue to add to this thread.

Best of Luck to all