Fly Tying
centerx

Alternative fly tying materials

There are mats of this material that is similar to felt that you can by a craft stores. When you pull at the sheets you will end up with little fibres that are like a cross between Antron and superfine dubbing. It dubs tight and is good for dry flies.

I discovered that white, waste braided mainline makes nice dry fly wings, if you pick out all the strands. From stuff I've tied it floats well. Just doesn't compress much so you have to watch how much you use

Nice list. Here's one more. Pet hair. I have labs so this time of year in Texas I have plenty. One just was bit in the tail by amother dog and the vet shaved it to clean out the puncture. She looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for some of the hair, but the hair is hollow and I name each fly after them. They took her in back to do it and it looke liked hers?

The good news is my baby did not have to wear "the collar of shame". That stupic cone thing they put on them to keep them from licking.

The good news is my baby did not have to wear "the collar of shame". That stupic cone thing they put on them to keep them from licking.

You watched the movie, "Up" !!! LOL

Walking thru the dollar store you find a veritable plethora ($5 words) of tying materials and tools. Great storage stuff, lots of feathers and ribbon, reading glasses, lighting, it's endless. All that is needed is imagination. Walmart caries embroidery thread as well, which is very high quality and only a buck a spool. I use it almost exclusively.

No. Is that what they called it. I heard a vet refer to it as that once. Is the movie any good?

The Wife and I like it, a lot. If you're sentimental, the first few minutes will bring a tear, but after that it's a pretty good story with some good laughter generating lines.

The rexlace, and stretch tubing from craft stores does wonders on nymphs, instead of paying for a small spool of ribbing from the fly shop, you can buy 100yds for 2 bucks.

Gang,

One idea I have not seen surface on this thread is Easter Basket Grass that is mylar. I have found it in green, blue, yellow, red, pink, silver and white.

Great body material on nymphs and works good for bass flies and large Northern Pike streamers which is a fish species often targeted in parts of the United States.