Fly Tying
breambuster

Mail Order Companies

I order most of my stuff from JStockard because of their support of FTF, but occasionally I need something that they don't carry. So I'd like to have a "back up" company to order from. I've ordered a thing or two from some other companies, but never found anyone else that I like quite as well as JStockard. I'd like to find another company that offers a good selection of hooks, foam, dubbing, rubber legs, bead heads, etc, at reasonable prices and that doesn't charge you an arm and a leg for shipping. I usually order only a few things at the time, rather than saving up and placing an order for $50 or $100 worth of materials. Basically, if I see a pattern I want to tie and need one or two materials, I'll order those items, and maybe another thing or two as well. So shipping is an important consideration. Beyond that, I'd like to find a company that gets their stuff out promptly, has integrity, and is a pleasure to work with. Also no minimum orders is a good thing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

BB

Cascade Crest Tools, orders over $50 free shipping. The Crystal Antron Chenille is awesome as is his Micro Mini Silicon Legs, which are actually round silicone and great for size #10 and smaller. Like any other company, he doesn't have everything, but he has some stuff that he manufactures himself and cannot be purchased anywhere else. Some companies such as Orvis, Jann's Netcraft, Umpqua, etc. carry Pat's stuff but he still sells direct retail as well. His selection of mylar tubing is unmatched as he has the weaving machines and produces that himself. A bunch of other really good stuff too.

http://cascadecrest.com/index.php?option=c...1&Itemid=32

Kirk

I have used Feather Craft a few times, their service was great. Prompt shipping, good selection of materials, no complaints here!

JStockard I think is still the best on shipping- $5 standard shipping. Even JStockard though has switched from Priority Mail to standard mail. $5 is pretty darn good though, and over $100 is free.

The one time I ordered from Feather Craft, their website chose next-day shipping as the default method. I thought that pretty much sucked, as it was totally inflated from what actual shipping would be (even overnight!) To me, the default method should be the cheapest, then the customer should choose a faster method if he wants it. Maybe that has changed, as it's been a couple years and I haven't been back to the website.

I used to be able to recommend Hook and Hackle, but not anymore, sadly.

It is hard to beat J.S. Stockard on selection, but sometimes $5 shipping is tough on small orders. I'd almost agree with JohnP on Hook&Hackle. My favorite is "Casters Fly Shop", they have a great selection of materials, free shipping (no minimal order), and customer service/knowledge is just unbeatable. I have never tried FeatherCraft so I can't opinionate on them.

I also use Feathercraft. They have a lot of good tying stuff, great selection. I need to try Stockard, never heard of them before using this forum and I love the forum so they deserve my support.

Tom

Feather Craft is my favorite. J.Stockard's is good and I support them because they support this forum, but they are just not in the same class. YMMV.