Fly Tying
morphius

steelhead streamers

Hi there guys, I've gotten into the "swing" of things for steelhead and salmon. I plan on fishing the great lakes for stelhead. Here comes the tricky part though, I was wondering if you guys could give me a list of materialsx that could tie a plethora of steelhead swinging flies (mainly streamers) for them. Also, what size hook would result in a 3.5-4 inch fly? Thanks!

i like alaskabous tied on a trout streamer hook with the bend cut off and a gamakatsu octopus hook attached just behind the the fly with 30lb braid. sometimes i put hackle feathers tied in the round out the back for more action.

kinda of an alaskabou/string leech/deciever combo.

the hits are a rod snatching jolt.

ive seen salmon swing off the bed 10ft to smash them in inchs of water as you strip them back for another cast.

A simple selection of rabbit strips, marabou, and hackle should suit you well. I reccomend picking up natural, vivid and subdued colors of each.

Chris

A simple selection of rabbit strips, marabou, and hackle should suit you well. I reccomend picking up natural, vivid and subdued colors of each.

Chris

That and some deer hair and a variety of flashabou. Also (and i know that they are not streamers) but sucker spawns and crystal meths are very easy to tie up and can be very effective. All you need for them is some angora yarn for the sucker spawns and sparkle braid for the crystal meth's.

Keep those reels screaming

Long plumed feathers (marabou, bird fur, schlappen, coque de leon, pheasant rump, etc) are usually used. A good bright selection of steelhead dubbing, some different flash materials, rabbit strips, jungle cock (good luck finding quality JC nails) a myriad of duck flank feathers and guinnea feathers as wll as wadington shanks. and octopuss hooks and some firewire or some other heavy test braided line for attaching stingers to you flies.