Fly Tying
TotallyFlyTying

Alternative Ways to Blend Dubbing...?

You can also use two cat brushes to rake material back and forth until its blended as you like.

That said I use a coffee grinder.

HHHMMMMM:

After watching the video, I wonder what my air compressor, set at 100psi, would do for it.

Aged sage

PS: I use both coffee/spice grinder and blendor; both dry.

HHHMMMMM:

After watching the video, I wonder what my air compressor, set at 100psi, would do for it.

Aged sage

PS: I use both coffee/spice grinder and blendor; both dry.

Perch-

I thought the same thing and tested it out last night...works GREAT. I punched slightly larger holes and more of them because the compressor shoots a lot more air, much quicker.

Here are some others (sorry if I'm repeating what others have said) -

Put it in a jar with warm water (1/3 dubbing, loose, fill to top with water) and shake it real good. Dump it out on a piece of screen or into a sieve to dry. The resultant felted dubbing is nice to work with.

An earlier poster mentioned cat brushes. Be sure to use the pet brushes that are smaller versions of the wool carders used by hand weavers and spinners: paddles with handles, the paddles festooned with a batch of short bent wires that grab and pull the dubbing. Get a pair. Put dubbing on one, comb and pull through it with the other. They work great.

All coffee grinders are not equal. The real nice ones, like Braun, have sharp points that are great for coffee beans but chop the dubbing into short, unusable dust or tangle it around the chopping blades. My old cheapo Mr. Coffee grinder, on the other hand has been renamed remarked with a Sharpie and is now known as Mr. Dubbing. It works great. Dull blades, no sharp edges.