Fly Tying
JohnP

Soft hackle/Flymph swap

Welcome aboard, Old Hat, and thanks for joining. The swap is now full.

Those look great, Trout Patrol. I will PM my address. That was quick. :D

Here's my finished product if they are up to par.

Just need an addy and they can be on the way.

Blk Stone Flymph and Soft March Brown

Very nice tyes... On the march brown is that white thread or floss over a color thread????

Can you please post up the material list for it???

I am not in this swap but I would like to know what a flymph is? Excuse my ignorance. Thanks in advance!

Hey gregfred, a flymph is a type of soft hackled fly. The term was coined by a gentleman named Vernon S. (Pete) Hidy. It was Traditionally to describe the point in insects life after it has left the nymphal stage and not quite yet in the adult stage (emerged). Flymphs have certain characteristics that set them apart just slightly from other soft hackles. There is a contingent out there that is "into them" to say the least. Here are a couple sites to learn more if interested. Pete Hidy and James Leisenring authored a book entitled " The Art of Tying the Wet Fly and Fishing the flymph "

About Hidy and the Flymph

Flymph forum

It's sort of a combination of a wet fly and a nymph, hence the name flymph. Vernon S. "Pete" Hidy was a disciple of James Leisenring, a Pennsylvania fisherman who specialized in fishing sparsely dressed wet flies. Leisenring wrote a book called "The Art of Tying the Wet Fly," which came out in the early years of World War II. Later, Hidy updated the Leisenring book and the book was called "The Art of Tying the Wet Fly and Fishing the Flymph."

The basic idea is that a flymph imitates an emerging insect. The primary difference between a flymph and a regular soft hackle or wet fly is that the hackle is palmered over the front half to one-third of the fly, giving a better imitation of the legs of the insect.

Much of this information is covered in Dave Hughes' book "Wet Flies." The main guru on soft hackles is Sylvester Nemes, who has written several books on the topic.

They are a lot of fun to tie and they catch fish (both soft hackles and flymphs).

Ok, thanks. Old Hat...what was the point of a blank response?

On my iPad I have to post the quote then go back and quick edit. It won't let me select the dialog screen for some reason unless I'm in quick edit.

Soft March Brown

Hook: #12 Wet

Thread: Black

Body: Beige Thread

Rib: Copper Wire

Thoax: Peacock Herl

Collar: Patridge

Glad they are up to par. This is my first swap.