Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Wally Bear

First Fly

I made the plunge last night and bought a vise, tools and a few supplies. I decided to start with the wooly bugger as it seems to be the one that beginners should start with. I tied it on a #12 hook and that was sort of a pain in the butt. Made it harder than it should have been I think for my first time.

woolybugger.jpg

I made the plunge last night and bought a vise, tools and a few supplies. I decided to start with the wooly bugger as it seems to be the one that beginners should start with. I tied it on a #12 hook and that was sort of a pain in the butt. Made it harder than it should have been I think for my first time.

woolybugger.jpg

It sould catch fish!!

One thing I did notice is that your hook (in the picture at least), is barely in the jaws of the vise. I'm guessing that you did not tie it in this position but if you did, you should move it down into the vise jaws more and it will prevent it from moving around on you while your tying.

Usually the hackle would not be quite so large but as you stated it would have been easier in a larger size.

Overall, nice job for a first fly! Keep up the good work....

The hook was pulled out a little for the photograph. That hackle is a bit big. That was the forth one I put on. I kept screwing them up and would have to start over. I will definitely use a bigger hook for now until I develop a little more skill.

That one will catch fish. Good idea to stick with some larger patterns to get you going. Try and find time to tie every day if you can. You'll see each one getting better than the one before. You're off to a good start. And don't hesitate to ask questions, EVERYONE here started out tying at the same place as you, and are more than willing to help. Most of all, don't let it intimidate you, have fun with it.

Nicely done.I have to agree with using a larger hook. I have found that when learning a new fly recipe starting with a larger hook let's me see the overall appearance better. I cann't tell from the photo angle but it appears that the head is crowding the hook eye a little, that's something to be mindful of when tying. Keep up the good work .

Since it's inception 25 years ago, our club's tying class has used #10, or larger, hooks for the reasons mentioned. With respect to the head on yours, it appears to me that the thread was carried too far forward to just over the eye, rather than the head area on the hook being crowded. The thread for the head should stop where the shank ends and the eye begins. Either way, this fly will catch fish!

As has been noted, the hackle is a tad too long, relative to the commercially tied counterparts; but, the excess hackle should give it much more action and make it appear larger than it really is; which may be a great attribute.

aged sage

The Woolly Bugger is a great fly as I've been told by numerous fly fishermen many times but I have yet to catch a fish on one :) Anyway, its a great first attempt at tying. As others have suggested, tying your first flies on larger hooks will make life easier at the beginning. As you progress in your fly tying smaller hooks can be used and your proportions practiced. Remember, to tie a perfect fly only pleases the fly tier, the fish don’t care. Actually the scruffier the fly the more fish I catch :) Continue to practice and enjoy your hobby.

Good job and welcome to the addiction!

Even myself as a long time tyer (but no expert by any means!) needs to start off with bigger hooks. I've tied mostly bass fishing jigs on 4/0 and 6/0 hooks and when I tried to do trout size flies again...painful! Thankfully it only took a dozen or so but for almost any pattern I've been working on, starting off bigger has helped me work on portions and neater heads. I love that I got back into it this year but now have too many bass fishing related orders (not flies) that need to be fulfilled....

Keep it up and show them off!

Todd

Nice looking fly! My first was a Black Gnat, and then an alder. There's a real sense of accomplishment when you finish your first fly. Then you get really excited when you catch a fish on one! My first ones I made years ago are still put up in a little box. That is, after some bluegills slobbered all over them! :yahoo: