Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishingbobnelson

Nelson's Caddis

Hey Bob,

Thanks for sharing this pattern and for the additional instructions. I've got a few questions I hope you can help me with?

When you tie the wing in three parts divided by dubbing, do you space the tie in points evenly? Your instructions say to tie the first clump so the tips extending slightly past hook bend. Do you tie each consecutive clump slightly longer so the tips line up with the tips of the first clump, or do you slightly stagger them? I hope my questions make sense, I'll be adding some of these to the fly box for sure :D

Thanks buddy

Really nice, Bob! I know exactly where I'll be taking some of those this summer :)

John

Beautiful fly pattern Bob. Very well constructed. A great pattern for fast water or a fluttering skater on still water.

Carl

now that's a really unique pattern, must float like a cork :) Nice job.

Mike

Hey Bob,

Thanks for sharing this pattern and for the additional instructions. I've got a few questions I hope you can help me with?

When you tie the wing in three parts divided by dubbing, do you space the tie in points evenly? Your instructions say to tie the first clump so the tips extending slightly past hook bend. Do you tie each consecutive clump slightly longer so the tips line up with the tips of the first clump, or do you slightly stagger them? I hope my questions make sense, I'll be adding some of these to the fly box for sure :D

Thanks buddy

Sorry I missed this post so long ago. Yes they are evenly spapced. Trim the butt ends short and then cover them with the dubbing. and yes each clump is lined up with the tips, then when you tie them down it pulls them slightly forward to give you a good wing profile.

Bob

Nelson is a personal friend. Nelson's Caddis was featured in FFM in the March 1987 issue, pp 34 in an article by the late Michael Fong. Nelson is the owner of the Henry's Fork Lodge.

There are variations of Nelson's Caddis such as the Triple Wing Caddis that varies the hackle placement or the Sedgehog caddis that eliminates the hackle.

Nice work on the tie.

Nelson is a personal friend. Nelson's Caddis was featured in FFM in the March 1987 issue, pp 34 in an article by the late Michael Fong. Nelson is the owner of the Henry's Fork Lodge.

There are variations of Nelson's Caddis such as the Triple Wing Caddis that varies the hackle placement or the Sedgehog caddis that eliminates the hackle.

Nice work on the tie.

Thaks for the info, I have the article, but not the magazine, I thought it was older since the trip was in 78 that Michael wrote about. I will update the data base.