Fly Tying
breambuster

Float Tube Question

FJ, I've never known or heard of wood or sticks causing a problem for the tube. Most often it's user ignorance or negligence.

bb, I lose the waders as soon as the water temp will let me. They have pfd's that will auto fill from a rip cord. Until you have some familiarity with the whole process I highly recommend it's use. After that, it's your call.

Yeah Eric, the "doughnut dance" to float ability can be a challenge. :lol:

Outside of that, it's the safest type of tube out there. (if it takes a rubber inner tube for the chamber)

A tip for pvc or urethane users ....... these types of bladders if full up with air run the risk of expanding to blow out the bladder. Partial fill till you get to the water and top it off to max. before you fish. The water will keep it from ever overheating to expansion.

Good information so far. Here is what I would add -

PFD? Always. If a little comfort really is going to outweigh the safety, get one of those that automatically inflates when it is submerged. I see it like a seatbelt - I don't ever plan on having an accident, but I can't control the other idiots out there. I want to be on the surface even if I would for some reason be unconscious. Not to mention - they are required for tubes and inflatables here in SD.

Length - check your local regs. I have a shorter length model. Here in SD mine doesn't have to be licensed, but to fish water 10 miles away in Iowa, 6 inches longer and I would have to have a license on it.

And on a final note - there are certainly days where I would never trade a regular boat for an inflatable. They are almost beyond comparing in the big picture. We get a lot more wind here than other places, and can cover a fair amount of water depending on the fishing - both situations where the inflatable isn't all that practical. But for the right situation, the tube is great. It is really the same reason we have different weight rods.

Deeky

crawfly is bang on-when transprting it keep it partially deflated especially if your going thru the mtns. a friend of mine was behind someone in bc at about 3500 ft at the top of he pass and the guy ahead of him had his tube blow up on him on the roof.

marc

You guys have been great in answering all my questions, and in supplying some additional info about things I would have never thought about. This has turned into a great thread because of all the good info you guys have provided.

Now, let me ask a couple more questions. What about the manufacturer's weight rating. Many of the tubes I've looked at are rated at 250 lbs. How strict do I need to be in observing that when decided which one to buy? In a lot of things, it's add 25-30%, but in others, it's that you'd better take the rating as the absolute top figure. The reason I ask is that I'm pretty close to that 250 lbs limit myself. By the time I add a rod, several boxes of flies, some canned diet colas and snacks, etc, I'll be well over the 250 lb mark. But going on up to a 300 lb rating add a good chunck of change.

I'm thinking seriously about the "Outcast" brand of tubes, (http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/produc...ult.aspx?type=9) and adding an extra 50 - 100 lbs to the 250 lb limit adds a good $100. So I'm asking if I need to bite the bullet and pay that much more? The reason I'm looking at the "Outcast" is that I like the fact that you sit higher, more of you is out of the water, which should make casting easier, etc. I can see several advantages to being a little higher.

One other question is that someone asked about alligators, which I don't think would be a problem, but then someone else mentioned leeches, which might BE a problem, and I have also wondered about snakes, & snapping turtles. Are they going to see this strange thing and want to come investigate, and maybe get up on it to sun, or are they going to turn tail and head the other way? What experience have you guys had with encounter with "critters" out on the water?

Thanks

BB

as for snakes and turtles I have never had a problem as for leaches I ran into a problem once while fishing a beaver pond for brookies ended my day early but went back the next day with waders on and the float tube to catch some monster trout

Never had a problem with critters other than on stupid little water snake really thought it would be great idea to sun on my tube. The wife warned me as he was approaching and I beat the water to a froth with my 8wt, he never surfaced in site again so I guess he got the message that it would be a bad idea. Never had a leech problem and though I have seen several turtles and even caught a pretty good sized softshell but never had an issue.

As for the weight limit..... often times I am transporting myself, an 8' fiberglass ladder, a couple of rods, some boxes of flies and a small cooler with lunch and gatorade, I'm guessing that would put me in the 275 range and my tube is rated at 250. Other than that I'm not too sure.

Steve

As for the weight limit..... often times I am transporting myself, an 8' fiberglass ladder, a couple of rods, some boxes of flies and a small cooler with lunch and gatorade, I'm guessing that would put me in the 275 range and my tube is rated at 250. Other than that I'm not too sure.

Steve

Hey, Steve, when you had your 250 lb tube loaded down to about 275 lbs, was it nearly awash? Was it on t/ verge of sinking? Was 275 lbs the absolute limit of what you could have put on it? I'm thinking that's about where I would top out w/ all of my gear.

Thanks

BB

I'm lucky enough to live near Cape Cod, MA and it's covered with small, crystal clear kettle ponds around 100 acres or less with HP restrictions, this is ideal for belly boating.

I spend most of my time in the belly boat instead of my 16 footer....a few things to consider though:

-I wear waders all year to deal with water temp as well as the occasional leach (hate them)

-try to avoid the bigger water, wind is tough to deal with as well as the bigger boats ( had an issue with some punk teenagers that thought it would be a great idea to try to swamp me on a 300 acre lake)

-if you want to take pictures, bring a crap camera

Hey, Steve, when you had your 250 lb tube loaded down to about 275 lbs, was it nearly awash? Was it on t/ verge of sinking? Was 275 lbs the absolute limit of what you could have put on it? I'm thinking that's about where I would top out w/ all of my gear.

I honestly could not tell much difference, I mean I am definitely sitting lower in the water when I have my ladder and all the gear loaded but as for was it sinking.... not by a long shot. I'm also only guessing that is what myself and all of my gear weighs, the ladder is roughly 30-35lbs without feet and then the feet are about another 10, I weigh 220ish and then add another 10lbs of fly rods, reels, flies, and lunch. It's a guess but I would say 275 is a good number when I go fully loaded.

Steve

Steve

I'm more curious as to why you are carrying an 8 foot ladder

Hey, Guys, thanks for all the good info on float tubes. I'm really thinking seriously about it, now that I've heard from all of you. It would be WAY cheaper than a boat, not nearly as much trouble about launching, trailering, etc. And I would be fun to be able to paddle around this cove and toss some flies at 'gills. What I did last summer was just to wade out to anywhere between knee deep and waist deep and cast along the bank. But to be able to cover more of the water would be a lot of fun.

Now, a couple of things. First, Sniksoh, yes, there are some "gators" in SC and some really big ones. But they are all in the low country, along the coast. The lake I'll be fishing is in the "Upstate" in the foothills of the mountains. Not much danger of running into a 'gator that far inland.

Hairstacker, that was an awesome video. As I watched I couldn't help but wonder, was the guy pulling in the fish, or pulling himself out to the fish?

Now, for a couple of questions. Do you guys who use float tubes wear waders? And someone mentioned a life vest. Do you guys wear a life vest or just have one along, just in case?

Thanks

BB

I know you're leaning float tube, but have you thought about a kayak? You could have a decent lower end kayak for fishing for only $200 or so more, maybe less depending on the tube. It would still not require a boat trailer, it's man-powered, and can cover water a lot better than a tube. I fish mostly small public lakes in SE Ohio and can go end to end on the local lakes in under 15 minutes. A float tube is definitely more packable if you need to get it in deep in cover or away from roads, but if that isn't necessary, a kayak might be a good option to think about!

I'm more curious as to why you are carrying an 8 foot ladder

I use it to carp fish from, since I do not have a boat I take a ladder to a secluded mud flat, set it up and climb to the top to watch for cruising carp, the float tube is my only form of aquatic transportation.

Steve

I love my float tube we hike in alot of smaller lakes great for pike fishing. I am a big guy 6'3 360lbs I am over my weight limit by 20+lbs plus i wear my waders all my gear a camel pack, fippers, ect. I have never had a problem feeling like I was going to flip, casting is easy took a few time to get use to it. Flippers are a MUST!

This is the tube i use, my buddie i fish with is much smaller 5 10 240lbs and it keeps him way out of the water he calls it the titanic

http://www.fishusa.com/Classic-Accessories...source=googleps

here is a photo from a float tube trip to isle royale

IMG_4488.jpg

IMG_4472.jpg