Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

chadwicks 477 yarn

Yeah, when any similarly colored yarn will do just as well.

Just what the listing stated.."It's a piece of history really to allow you to tie the pattern absolutely as it was intended." I think it would be great to have the original yarn and tye a few up and fish them, Also I would place a few in a shadow box with other flies that were worth collecting. So that price is well in reason from a collectors point..And yes, i agree with the post about getting yarn that will match it for less money. But to me it's just not the same as the original stuff.

I'm proud to say I have a small piece of it and if i could get more I would. It's like in old days when JC ws hard to get everyone wanted some but few used what they got. You know it's like getting a dozen flies by the Dette's or some other old tyer, you wouldn't use them but you would show them to others.

477 is the yarn that was used by Sawyer to tie the killer bug. Chadwicks stopped producing it many years ago.

Read up on the "specialness" of this mythical yarn. ^_^

Oh and that price is actually lower than the last time I saw a card on E-bay. That card went for over 200 pounds if im not mistaken.

Last week a fellow had several cards on ebay the buy it now price was 60 pounds. I just search it and there all gone.

yes, it's about as asinine as spending $1500 on a bamboo rod, or $300 on a small trout reel which does nothing but hold line. Yet people do it every day.

I'd be willing to bet that over the years, any existing samples of this material have changed color at least a little bit, and the person who spends so much on it isn't getting what was "original" anyhow.

Sorry, I don't get it. What does it matter to any of you how much someone wants to buy or sell something?

Charge what the market will bear.

Many people claim that the original yarn is far more effective than any substitute. Thus why so many people want it. I strongly believe that any gray wool yarn will do as long as you tie it with red copper wire. I also believe that a translucent fleshy pink tone of say pure rabbit would also be just as effective.

Sorry, I don't get it. What does it matter to any of you how much someone wants to buy or sell something?

Charge what the market will bear.

It doesn't MATTER to me in any way whatsoever. I just happen to agree that it is foolish. I guess what does matter to me, is that I can't find any old crap laying around here for which someone would pay me a lot of money!!

There still does not seem to be any bites on that auction, so apparently he is NOT charging what the market will bear :o

I have not read Sawyer's account of the development of his Killer Bug. Knowing fishermen, I would guess he looked around for some grayish colored stuff to use for a simple SIMPLE nymph, and Chadwick's 477 just happened to be on someone's sewing table and he swiped a piece of it. It worked, so that's what he stuck with.