Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lionus

hoppicator

hello all. I came across this pattern a month ago or so and decided I would try to tie up a smaller version. I tied a few and they came out looking really well. If you are not familiar with this pattern, it is pretty much just a hopper with a mono loop in the front and one in the back for attaching your leader. It is to be used as a indicator and a dry fly. The loops are made so that the fly/indicator will be adjustable but still hold strong enough to catch a fish with.

The problem that I am having is with connecting the leader to the fly. It is recommended that you use a loop to loop connection with the front mono loop and then put the tag end through the back mono loop. I have been playing around with this for a while now, trying to get the loop to loop to hold the hoppicator strong enough. It just wants to keep sliding around. I am told it is suppose to connect like you would a thingamabobber(i have never used one of these)

Has anyone played around with a setup like this? any recommendations? Thanks.

here is the loop to loop

hopper.jpg

hopper2.jpg

hopper1.jpg

here is the caramel caddis pupa

caddis_pupa.jpg

Can't be that hard to decipher

here is the video. mikey shows exactly how to rig up his system in the video. loop to loop and all.

I've been goofing around with this idea all winter--- I thought I came up with it on my own. Dammit I need to start writing. anyhow, a couple of things I think I've found: Don't take the tag end of your leader through the BACK loop if you're attaching it like a thingamabobber. Use much lighter mono, maybe 10 or 12 lb test.

I am tying some indicator flies with just a mono loop on the tail. Tie it on your leader with a shorter, heavier tippet than usual (maybe, depends). Then tie your dropper fly on your chosen length of tippet material, loop knot in the end, then loop-to-loop it to the tail of the indicator fly. Probably a lot more BSing around than it's worth, but it's fun.

Thanks guys.

I think the problem with the slippage might be caused by using only 8 lb mono for the loops which twists when force is put upon it. I'll find some thicker stuff and try it.

Thanks for the pictures flytire.

This setup just seems to make more sense to me than attaching my dropper to the shank of my dry fly.

You'll have to put some pictures up for us to see this setup JS. I'd be interested to check it out.

Anyone ever get this to work. I tried replicating this as well, and the slippage on the dry fly is unavoidable, seemingly. Tried heavy and light material on the fly, and various tippet diameters, and none worked. The dry will always slip, especially if you run the dropper through the rear loop. So is Wier's video misleading or has someone actually figured out how to make this work?

What about making the loop on the dry out of rubber band or something to that extent? The thingamabobbers have a rubber insert if I remember correctly. Just a thought, not sure if it would work or not. I might start fooling around with this.

ive attached a loop behind a streamer "tailgunner" style to attach another streamer behind the first.

i use 20lb test & GSP thread to really bind down the mono then super glue the whole thing.

Some sort of rubber product might solve the problem, but breaking strength would be an issue. After a lot of experimentation, I beginning to think Wier overstated the utility of this technique a bit. Works fine as an indicator, but not particularly useful as a dry fly if my any conclusions can be drawn from my experiments.