Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JSzymczyk

Rio "Carp" flyline

OK, a bit off topic because it's not tying related, but I just saw the new $75 Rio "CARP" flyline....

are we flyfishermen really THAT gullible and egotistical?

OK, a bit off topic because it's not tying related, but I just saw the new $75 Rio "CARP" flyline....

are we flyfishermen really THAT gullible and egotistical?

I hope neither but wait till you see the freight train stopping drag on the new Carp Reel by Pflueger, which fits nicely on the Carp launcher rod soon to come out by Sage.

Kirk

LOL 'tournament legal carp rods'. I am still waiting for the new 'pufferfish taper'

The Carp Lines are GREAT. Joel I say the same thing when I see a new nymphing line. Really? Nymphing? WTF? But the carp gear is normally good to great for carping. I think Ray Bergman said it best "you find that all they do is to arrive at fundamentals from different angles, that is getting a fly or bait to the fish so that they accept it" Tomato Toe-ma-toe. Right? But Carping can be the most difficult fresh water fish to catch on fly gear. Try casting a heavy nymph on a regular BRIGHT ORANGE floating line quietly.

I think the thing is the way they market things now a days more than what is actually being marketed. Lots of people like carp fishing with flies. Personally it's not my bag, I mean the fight of a carp is good, but when you land it, it's still a carp :sick:

But the funny thing is how they market stuff like lines. This one is for selective trout, this one is for dirty water, this one is for clear water, this one is for pike, this one is for bass. I mean seriously come on, outside of different tapers/colors/sink/float there's not much difference in them. Just like this carp line they say "repels dirt from the line"....okay, ummm....shouldn't ANY good fly line repel dirt? I mean seriously :blink:

If fly fishing for the past 20+ yrs has taught me one thing that is that there's more BS in fly fishing marketing hype than a field in Kansas.

Now if only they'll make a Gar taper for throwing out those heavy rope flies.... :hyst: