Fly Tying
SBW

Alternatives to epoxy

Ok here's the run down on u.v. cure prices.

clear cure goo- kit- $49.00, bottle 15ml for $17

Bug bond- Kit- $44.95, Bottle 20ml for $22.50

Loon Uv clear fly finish- No kit. Bottle 59.15 ml for 22.88 Loon lamps, Mini for 12.68, and uv power light for 29.68.

Now If you dont want to pay for the light seeing its the most expensive part. You can get the same lights on auction sites for $1.00 to $10.00. You can get the bug bond/ clear cure goo light for $6.99 shipping included.

Ok here's the run down on u.v. cure prices.

clear cure goo- kit- $49.00, bottle 15ml for $17

Bug bond- Kit- $44.95, Bottle 20ml for $22.50

Loon Uv clear fly finish- No kit. Bottle 59.15 ml for 22.88 Loon lamps, Mini for 12.68, and uv power light for 29.68.

Now If you dont want to pay for the light seeing its the most expensive part. You can get the same lights on auction sites for $1.00 to $10.00. You can get the bug bond/ clear cure goo light for $6.99 shipping included.

Johnny Utah.. I didn't have the time to check your facts friend.. But did you make a mistake when you listed the amount for the Loon at 59.15 ml?

Also, when you guys turn epoxy flies, how long do you spin them for and at what RPM?

Just thinking maybe my rod turner may come in handy for this application...

Thanks.. You saved me a few trips today..Since I had no clue what this stuff was. Just thought it was epoxy most stores would sell.

Aleene’s Fabric Fusion..That's a great price..I'll get some at Wal*Mart today..

Just remember this stuff takes quite a while to gel and cure and a rod turner should work just fine needs to turn at about 6 to 12 turns per minute. It may need to spin for 2 hours to overnight should gel in 2 hours unless humidity is REAL high.

Also, when you guys turn epoxy flies, how long do you spin them for and at what RPM?

Thanks.. You saved me a few trips today..Since I had no clue what this stuff was. Just thought it was epoxy most stores would sell.

Just remember this stuff takes quite a while to gel and cure and a rod turner should work just fine needs to turn at about 6 to 12 turns per minute. It may need to spin for 2 hours to overnight should gel in 2 hours unless humidity is REAL high.

Thank you for the info... I'll just turn my rod turner on for 8-12 hours and walk away.. Since my turner spins at that rate, It should be all good!!! :headbang:

Thank you for the info... I'll just turn my rod turner on for 8-12 hours and walk away.. Since my turner spins at that rate, It should be all good!!! :headbang:

Yep

Casey is surely right on the mark with that Fabric Fusion from WalMart. There's a link to his article on the first page of this post if anyone missed it. I just bought a bottle a few days ago and it's easy to work with and is perfect for fly tying. Only thing is that you'll need a fly turner because it does take awhile to dry. I like to tie at night, so I just let it turn all night and the next morning it was perfect and ready to go. It is also recommended that you also let it cure for at least a day or two before putting it in the water. I asked Casey some additional questions which is at the bottom of his article in the Comments section. He said that he still uses it and he hasn't seen it yellow at all and hasn't run into any problems. I'd say that it's the best epoxy alternative because it's cheaper than Liquid Fusion which should be about the same stuff. It was at my local WalMart so it's probably at most of them. The bottle cost $4.95. What a deal! I highly recommend it.

Casey is surely right on the mark with that Fabric Fusion from WalMart. There's a link to his article on the first page of this post if anyone missed it. I just bought a bottle a few days ago and it's easy to work with and is perfect for fly tying. Only thing is that you'll need a fly turner because it does take awhile to dry. I like to tie at night, so I just let it turn all night and the next morning it was perfect and ready to go. It is also recommended that you also let it cure for at least a day or two before putting it in the water. I asked Casey some additional questions which is at the bottom of his article in the Comments section. He said that he still uses it and he hasn't seen it yellow at all and hasn't run into any problems. I'd say that it's the best epoxy alternative because it's cheaper than Liquid Fusion which should be about the same stuff. It was at my local WalMart so it's probably at most of them. The bottle cost $4.95. What a deal! I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the informative post.. I was going to get Liquid Fusion, but you sold me on this stuff and Wal*Mart is only minutes away. :headbang:

I have the liquid fusion...I like it. Wish it had a small brush or smaller tip for applying it sometimes though... dries crystal clear and hard though. I buy mine at hobby lobby... I know feathercraft sells it, but it's a few bucks cheaper at the craft store... Think its about 6 bucks

Polar, get yourself a nail polish bottle, Use the brush from that. You can even put the fusion in the bottle as well.

I was just thinking. Since Fabric Fusion is so cheap and getting an empty fingernail polish bottle with brush applicator would be cheap and easy, it may be a good idea to get a few empty fingernail polish bottles like three. Then fill all three with one bottle of the fabric fusion, as I think it should be enough to fill three. Then you put in some powder paint and possibly some glitter and make colored epoxy-like goo. So if you tie a lot of the pink epoxy shrimp flies, then you could put pink powder paint in the bottle and then you'll have pink fabric fusion for all future flies that could use it. We just have to make sure that the powder paint is the best way or if it won't work, then maybe something else? What do you all think?

CCG and Aleene's are both great products. And although they can be used for similar applications, each has distinct advantages.

The key advantage to the CCG is the "instant cure" factor. It is almost as though you are welding materials in place with it. It also makes possible to shape and create flies that can't be made by other means or with other glues. I think there are a lot of cool new patterns and techniques that will ultimately be realized by using UV cure resins. For Popovic style flies, they are the best way to go.

Aleene's is great because it's inexpensive, completely non-toxic, crystal clear, and very durable. As a glue or clear coat it is super. But there are several factors you have to accept when using it- It shrinks when it dries, thick applications require a drying wheel, you should wait about 3 days before really soaking (fishing) a thickly coated fly like a Surf Candy.

Casey

www.caseysmartt.com

I appreciate your info casey about the aleene. BUT i must say i believe your spamming for a sponsor in clear cure goo. You speak of ccg as if its the only uv cure resin.

For flies requiring a lot of resin, i dont see it smart to be using ccg as it only a third of what loon gives.