Fly Tying
SBW

Alternatives to epoxy

I think its a good idea, you could then sell the bottles for about 17 dollars. :devil: :hyst:

I was just thinking. Since Fabric Fusion is so cheap and getting an empty fingernail polish bottle with brush applicator would be cheap and easy, it may be a good idea to get a few empty fingernail polish bottles like three. Then fill all three with one bottle of the fabric fusion, as I think it should be enough to fill three. Then you put in some powder paint and possibly some glitter and make colored epoxy-like goo. So if you tie a lot of the pink epoxy shrimp flies, then you could put pink powder paint in the bottle and then you'll have pink fabric fusion for all future flies that could use it. We just have to make sure that the powder paint is the best way or if it won't work, then maybe something else? What do you all think?

I appreciate your info casey about the aleene. BUT i must say i believe your spamming for a sponsor in clear cure goo. You speak of ccg as if its the only uv cure resin.

For flies requiring a lot of resin, i dont see it smart to be using ccg as it only a third of what loon gives.

Johnny I am currently interested trying one of these UV cured resins, do you have any experience with CCG and Loon?

I think its a good idea, you could then sell the bottles for about 17 dollars. :devil: :hyst:

I was just thinking. Since Fabric Fusion is so cheap and getting an empty fingernail polish bottle with brush applicator would be cheap and easy, it may be a good idea to get a few empty fingernail polish bottles like three. Then fill all three with one bottle of the fabric fusion, as I think it should be enough to fill three. Then you put in some powder paint and possibly some glitter and make colored epoxy-like goo. So if you tie a lot of the pink epoxy shrimp flies, then you could put pink powder paint in the bottle and then you'll have pink fabric fusion for all future flies that could use it. We just have to make sure that the powder paint is the best way or if it won't work, then maybe something else? What do you all think?

Bummer, didn't think of that! Now someone else will probably steal my idea. You heard it first from me. Do you think the paint would mix well and look good too?

I have used all 3. I must say that the loon by far is a better buy. It does all that the competitors do and for a heck of a lot less cost. There's plenty of hype around the uv resin products. I wouldn't be surprised if bug bond or ccg, is just loon market under a different name.

The only difference between them is consistency out of the bottle. But none are a problem for fly tying.

I'm not spamming for anything JU. I am not quite sure how you deduced that from my post or why you even felt it necessary to make that comment.

I was merely pointing out several differences in two epoxy substitutes, which is by the way, the topic of this thread. If I had used any of the other numerous UV resins on the market I would have included them by name.

Casey

Thanks, I am aware of what this thread is all about. :D

Johny put "Black Heart" back in the box <_<

I 'm pretty sure Casey isn't shilling for anybody, most on here don't know much about the Loon product because it isn't advertised as much or as effectively as the other UV cures. Lets face it the CCG is the best known of the breed. So that will be the first thing out of mosts mouth.

Polar, get yourself a nail polish bottle, Use the brush from that. You can even put the fusion in the bottle as well.

Yeah, I recently just got some Sallys hard as nails...I like it so far. I thought about getting a little bottle they sell for mixing your own epoxy with the little fine tip on it...but the fusion is so thick i thought for sure it would not work and be a waste of money...I normally use my bodkin for applying the fusion though and it has worked so far! I may try using the sally hard as nails bottle after it is empty though.

An interesting thing about the Aleene's Fabric Fusion I lost the little cap to my bottle and it sat without it for about a month and it did not dry up. Cat gave it back the other day.

Is ccg giving out fly boxes too? :hyst:

Johny-

I dont know why you have such angst against UV resins- It is not for everyone, and there are cheaper alternatives as Casey has mentioned- Do you make it a habit of slamming sponsors of a website? Seems like you had a real bone to pick with a sponsors hook company- and now you have an issue with Clear Cure Goo.

Here is what I can tell you about this product. It is non toxic, contains no styrene, no toluene, no BPA, Passes California Prop 65 with no problem.

Clear Cure Goo is made in the United States, with Chemicals made in the United States. It gives you a consistent product that has no fillers, and no short cuts.

It is made specifically for fly fishing, by me. A small shop- If I was a mega shop- maybe I could get better pricing but I can assure you that I am not making a large amount of money on this- What it does allow me to do, is talk to avid anglers, maybe take a few fishing trips and meet some people I normally wouldnt.

The materials used in Clear Cure Goo are very expensive and until I can order 55 Gallon drums of these chemicals, the prices wont be going down. In fact, based on the the dollar going down in value, inflation, and loss of smaller chemical manufactures, prices may be going up.

I could order my Chemicals from Korea or China- and maybe make a better profit margin, or lower my prices. I choose to support the United States economy and workers.

You may want to ask these other companies- where they source their chemicals- and where they make the material. If thats important to you.

Clear Cure Goo and the other UV cured resins may not be an end all be all- but to me it is a SIGNIFICANT step up from epoxy. Search the chemical toluene and see what it can do to you, verses these UV resins which dont contain any solvents.

On top of that the Clear Cure Goo wont yellow, unlike epoxy. It cures in seconds, which will allow you to "weld" with it, you cant do that with epoxy. I could go on and on about the benefits of UV resins.

As for the light- These lights are made in Korea- It would be nice to find one made in the USA but I have not been able to source it. It is important to find the right light- These lights have been ordered from the same place since we have started. I have tried cheaper lights, I have tried more expensive lights- some work, some dont... some dont cure properly, some turn the material yellow over time, some take longer to cure. The best part is that they all say they are all the same light spectrum. So consistency can be very hard to find.

So using the our light will always be our recommended light not that there arent other lights out there that may work- but more so because I KNOW ours works and wont yellow. It is a reputation we have worked very hard to get, and would not want to hear that the CCG yellowed, because some one used a different light. Typically people wont divulge that.

I feel that the Clear Cure Goo is priced fairly as it possibly can it has been through years of R and D- ( We started with Formula A in 2005 found flaws, moved to Formula B - found flaws, went to formula C found Flaws in it, and launched to the public in 2009 with Formula D, AKA Clear Cure Goo Thick ) I stay up sometimes until 2-3 AM answering emails, labeling, shipping, packaging CCG only to get up at 6AM with my family.

Clear Cure Goo is not a mega corporation like Allens; We dont have a staff like Loon. Nope its pretty much a family business, and then we have to run a "real" job too. So while I understand you pricing problems- I just dont get the hostility for all the rest. $50 Dollars for a kit is not chump change by any means- I respect the fact that that $50 was earned by someone working hard and they deserve a good product for that. If you feel like you didnt get your $50 dollars worth for the Light, Thick and Thin ( Kit ) I will be happy to refund your money just send it back

Clear Cure Goo

PO Box 92661

Southlake Texas 76092

USA

Thank you all for your support- and your input I appreciate it, and I also appreciate any feedback- I am always looking to improve and expand the product line.

All the best.

Brian

Sorry- No fly boxes...

Brian,

I love uv resins. I use them often. I am not bashing your product. I have used your product. It does what you say it does. :clapping:

You need to relax. Calm down there buddy. I am only a educated consumer, and my apologies for attempting to educate other consumers on this form to help them save some money, in there addiction known as fly tying.

Some have lots of money and wont care about this thread one bit. While others can barely scrap together money to get thread.

Dont you think that Dan Paradis , god rest his soul, didnt go through all B.S. of starting a business.

I dont bash sponsors on here. I merely give MY opinion of the product. Good or Bad. You need to realize that you will always run into negatives. You dont see James on here talking about stockard, You also dont see Norm on here, going ballistic when everyone talking about regal or hmh. You dont think these companies are or were once family businesses?

Bottom line. You have a good product. Its just a little over priced compared to your competition. This isnt a big deal, Some people sell a bottle of water for a dollar, others will sell it for 5 dollars.

No hard feeling Brian. I wish you, your family, and your business all the best.

Tight Ties

Johnny U.

No hard feeling Brian. I wish you, your family, and your business all the best.

Tight Ties

Johnny U.

Great.. now I look like an ass....

Your right though... I do need some freaking sleep and to chill.....

Beer- Bourbon or Scotch.. Im thinking beer.