Fly Tying
cruzfly89

some bass ties

Great looking...I find spinning deer hair, no problem... triming is a nightmare

Any chance you can do another shot of the Craws in the back?

They look simple and sweet!

i really like your use of dark colors on bottom as well as on top of your deerhair bugs.

i get stuck using light on bottom dark on top

hopefully these will cause me to think a little differently next time i make a fly

thanks for all the kind comments everyone. i will try to get a picture up of my craw pattern in the back. it is really simple and effective. i find that a little dark red or bright red really makes the smallmouth hit the fly more often on the bass bugs. haha although it could just be all in my head

Very nice looking bass flies! :thumbup:

I've read that others have success with orange craws, but that has not been my experience. I do better with rootbeer, black or olive, although I do add some orange color to them sometimes. It's possible I just haven't used orange enough to have confidence in it. I've just completed reading "Smallmouth Bass and Streams" by John Tertuliani, and he says orange is his best color for stream Smallmouths.

I'm looking forward to seeing those orange craws as well. The recent post "carp crack" and this thread has my mind wandering! Maybe I've missed something & need some more orange flies in my fly boxes! :rolleyes:

Very nice looking bass flies! :thumbup:

I've read that others have success with orange craws, but that has not been my experience. I do better with rootbeer, black or olive, although I do add some orange color to them sometimes. It's possible I just haven't used orange enough to have confidence in it. I've just completed reading "Smallmouth Bass and Streams" by John Tertuliani, and he says orange is his best color for stream Smallmouths.

I'm looking forward to seeing those orange craws as well. The recent post "carp crack" and this thread has my mind wandering! Maybe I've missed something & need some more orange flies in my fly boxes! :rolleyes:

I saw a show this weekend where they talked to a fisheries biologist who specializes in crayfish. He said that the predominate color of the varying crayfish was geographical and dependent on water temperatures. South central US the craws were more common in orange to red to brown, far west were lighter colors olives to white, east were oranges, reds, blues. The colder the water the darker the color of the craws because they shed less often and the shell gets harder. It was a pretty interesting discussion.

Robert, I'm no expert on crawfish, but I've kicked thru streams & picked up rocks enough to see what some of the local craws look like. I did however read recently there are about 330 different species in North America, so that could cover a good range of colors.

I've seen some that had blue, red or orange on them, and primarily on the appendages but the main colors of the back & body I've seen have been shades of olive, rusty or reddish browns & some have been so dark they were almost black. This is why I've chosen the colors I use. I'm sure a biologist would see a lot more varieties than the average angler. Of course, this doesn't mean that just because I'm attempting to match what I see, that bass won't eat flies tied in other colors, because they surely will! I've never seen a chartreuse crawfish, but have caught many bass on jigs & flies tied with chartreuse!

There's been a very interesting discussion on a bass fishing site I frequent about lure selection, colors, profile & other details, so this fits right in with that information. I find it all very interesting, and sometimes surprising what others have success with, so I consider it a learning experience. I try to be open minded.

However, no matter how much we study them, the fish always seem to throw a wrench in the works & do things completely opposite! :lol:

here are 2 of the main craw patterns i use. ive always had the best luck on the burnt orange craws. but i know some other people that fish the same water as i do and do very well on olive craw patterns. haha its hard to tell just exactly what the fish think, but as long as u can catch them thats all that matters.

post-26111-1301626041_thumb.jpg

post-26111-1301626163_thumb.jpg

here are 2 of the main craw patterns i use. ive always had the best luck on the burnt orange craws. but i know some other people that fish the same water as i do and do very well on olive craw patterns. haha its hard to tell just exactly what the fish think, but as long as u can catch them thats all that matters.

Very nice on the first one what are you palmering around the body or using as dubbing.

I dont think color really matters as much as presenting it correctly and within the range

the fish is willing to move.

Man, cruz, I really like those jointed sliders - the yellow head and black head with the flank feather backs. Awesome tie!

...I've seen some that had blue, red or orange on them, and primarily on the appendages but the main colors of the back & body I've seen have been shades of olive, rusty or reddish browns & some have been so dark they were almost black...

My neighbor came back from catching crawdads last year and had two of the blue ones, I didn't take a picture but it looked just like the one in the pic in this link. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http:/...ved=0CDIQ9QEwAg

Kirk

kirk that blue craw is awesome looking. i have never seen that before. robert the body is large rusty orange krystal hackle