Fly Tying
JohnP

DT floating line

Hey all,

I have decided to dust off my old Fenwick hollow glass rod. It is an 8-footer for a 5-weight line, and I would like to purchase a new floating, double-taper line for it. I have been checking at Cabela's and was looking at either their house brand Prestige plus at $39.99, or the Scientific Anglers mastery series at $59.99.

My natural tightwad inclination has me leaning toward the less-expensive line, although I hate the bright-orange color. Has anyone used the SA or Cabela's lines, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,

John

for old glass I like the cortland lines like sylk. smaller diameter for the older snake guides. SA makes cabelas lines. so they are the same line basically.

Thanks for the reply. I find the sylk line rather intriguing. How does it float and mend? In particular, does the tip float well?

I have several of the Cabela's Prestige Plus lines in various weights and both WF and DT. A reputable source has told me that they are Scientific Anglers Mastery lines with a different sticker on the box. I believe it, as I also have worn out a couple of those. I also have Cortland, AirFlo, and Rio lines of different weights and types. In my experience, the Cabela's Prestige Plus lines are AS GOOD AS ANY of the more expensive labels, on all factors such as float, durability, temperature range, staying clean, etc. Occasionally they will be on sale for $29.99 too. CPP lines are the first ones I look for when buying a new line---

Thanks for the input. As I said, my chief objection to the Cabelas line is the color. I have used lots of their products and have always been very satisfied.

all the Prestige Plus lines I've seen are green/yellow, not orange but they might have changed recently. (??) Never had a problem even in very clear water.

If you are fishing trout or maybe carp the orange could be a problem I suppose but for bass and pan fish I personally prefer the orange. These old eyes can see it better. I am old and fat so nobody cares what I like. hehehe

all the Prestige Plus lines I've seen are green/yellow, not orange but they might have changed recently. (??) Never had a problem even in very clear water.

You're right. I had them confused with the Prestige line, which is orange.

What are the differences in using DT and WF?

Generally speaking, double taper lines are easier to mend and, depending on the skill of the caster, can land on the water more delicately. Weight forward lines are easier to cast for distance. The other advantage of double tapers is that they can be reversed after a few seasons, so you are getting two lines for the price of one.

Generally speaking, double taper lines are easier to mend and, depending on the skill of the caster, can land on the water more delicately. Weight forward lines are easier to cast for distance. The other advantage of double tapers is that they can be reversed after a few seasons, so you are getting two lines for the price of one.

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info

Personally, I prefer DT lines for dry flies; it allows me a better roll casts, and smooth presentation over the water surface, what else can I say, more "natural". Oh, thanks for the info about Cabela's lines, very useful.