Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
petelangevin

Need some advice about cell phones

I have had my present phone going on 4 years, It is a casio gzone type v.. Water resistant and mil spec for shock and dust resistance.. My delimma is this,, its no longer water resistant thanks to me dropping it open from 20 ft up ona telephone pole. Thats what i get for answering my personal phone while working. Its cracked.. But still works..

Do i buy a referb off ebay for 50.. And feel ok about taking it fishing. Or do i splurge 150+$

for a smartphone with all the bells and whistles. I am on verizon, no intention of jumping ship at the moment... Any recommendations? Other than going with the refurb, i have been looking at the droid x, iphone 4, and the htc thunderbolt in 4g.. I just cant decide..

If you going for it go for the Thunderblot, have heard many great things about it. The Droid X would be the second choice, then iPhone 4 for the last.

This is ONLY my opinion, but to me its a phone, and only a phone. If I want to browse the Internet, I will use a computer. If I want to send messages (text,) I will use a computer, and if I want to take pictures, I will use a camera. As for waterproof, while for an angler, it is an important feature, a map case from REI. will seal your cell phone or camera for 10 bucks, and you get three cases. I have dunked my phone once or twice, and the case worked fine.

I have used a few differn't cell phones, razors,rugbys...and am in love with my iphone4 lol. i am on ATT&T though also. i wouldnt recomend iphone for verison though as i hear they < for some odd reason> really dont seem to like verison network.

A good droid smartphone will do many wonderful things for an outdoors fella...gps,camera,internet to look up stuff in a pinch....the list of apps can go on for days. if you havent yet took the leap to a smartphone....take it...dunno why i waited this long lol. i was just like the other fella said...a phone is a just that...to talk on....not anymore...its so much more:D

i normally upgrade all my phones as soon as i can...then i save them < some people put theirs on ebay and sell them>. this might seem like a waist as far as "but its still a good phone and it works", but anything can happen and you have a backup that wont cost ya an arm and leg to get a replacment.

For some reason vz has better reception here in the boston area, i am most likely going with the thunderbolt, I am definitely hitting rei for one of those map holders.. Thanks for the advice.

After visiting vzwireless. I am going with the i phone. Easier interface simiar to the ipad

For some reason vz has better reception here in the boston area, i am most likely going with the thunderbolt, I am definitely hitting rei for one of those map holders.. Thanks for the advice.

After visiting vzwireless. I am going with the i phone. Easier interface simiar to the ipad

Good choice. I've been using iphone since they first came out. Wonderful devices!!!!!!!!!!!

droid x is one hell of a phone but its not waterproof if you need that feature

This is a good phone as it has a keyboard that slides out.

Believeme you WANT a keyboard too... guess typing on a touch-screen sucks.